Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you ever look at quilts on here and... >

Do you ever look at quilts on here and...

Do you ever look at quilts on here and...

Old 07-16-2010, 08:13 AM

Yes! I see all of these "first" quilts and think, " Forget this! I'll never get that good and that is their first. I have been quilting for about 10 years, but seriously for maybe 2 years. Oh well, I enjoy doing it. My friends tell me I don't have enough confidence in my work. They say they are real pretty, etc.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:24 AM

Give yourself a break. I am amazed at the quilts I see. Let that not stop you but inspire you. Keep on.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:56 AM

Will do!!!!!!
Old 07-16-2010, 09:26 AM

Yes, I do that every now & then, but then I tell myself that I just really started learning to quilt this past winter. So, the quilters on this board help with information when I need it and they give me something to try my best to obtain!
Old 07-16-2010, 10:37 AM

I started quilting years ago to slow me down. I seem to want to finish all I start in one day. I have come to learn that it isn't a bad thing to "do the frog..." "rip it, rip it" at all.... when I do have to rip things out, I feel like it is a learning lesson as to what I did wrong and I try to catch myself from doing it again anymore. There are times I have to rip out because I am going to fast or my machine isn't cooperating... as for seeing all the lovely quilts made on this board... I hope to get there some day but until I do, I will just do the best I can to get there and if I don't get there, I am at least having fun trying. I went to a local quilt shop this week and nearly fell over with this beautiful embroided quilt that I almost want to give up sewing all together. If I made that quilt I wouldn't ever use it ... it would hang on the wall.. very nice and some day maybe I will take the time she put into it and make one. I need more experience in embroidery, that's for sure. This is getting long so I will stop for now... just enjoy making your goodies and love what you make...all things handmade are precious.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:03 AM

The intrique detail, colors, piecing, quilting shown here are exceptional. I am proud of my work but it does not compare with the beauty of some. My hats off to you and I say "bravo" to each of us for doing and trying. And I say thank you for the beautiful "eye candy" you treat us with. Good thoughts.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:07 AM

Thank you Shaverg. I am new at quilting and need all the encouragement I can get. Everyone has to start somewhere. I am 58 and am trying to remind myself that "you can't teach old dogs new tricks" is not always true. LOL I will have to admit, my brain is getting plenty of exercise lately.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:10 AM

Yep! I look at some of the quilts you all post on here & am amazed! I don't expect to live long enough to get that good. LOL
Old 07-16-2010, 11:13 AM

I admire all of you! Those who do those amazingly beautiful & difficult ones and those of you who are just starting or haven't got to that "expert" stage yet. Just keep on quilting!
Old 07-16-2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Absolutely I do. Then I remind myself that with some patience I, too, can do them. Some quilts are harder than others, some use techniques I've yet to learn but none of them require a degree in rocket science or brain surgery. Even a beginner, with patience, the right instruction, and practice can make the most difficult of quilts. We can do the same pattern and mine might not look as good as your's but as long as they aren't side by side no one will know. LOL
I like the way you think!!! LOL