Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you ever look at quilts on here and... >

Do you ever look at quilts on here and...

Do you ever look at quilts on here and...

Old 07-16-2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Playtime7
I started quilting years ago to slow me down. I seem to want to finish all I start in one day. I have come to learn that it isn't a bad thing to "do the frog..." "rip it, rip it" at all.... when I do have to rip things out, I feel like it is a learning lesson as to what I did wrong and I try to catch myself from doing it again anymore. There are times I have to rip out because I am going to fast or my machine isn't cooperating... as for seeing all the lovely quilts made on this board... I hope to get there some day but until I do, I will just do the best I can to get there and if I don't get there, I am at least having fun trying. I went to a local quilt shop this week and nearly fell over with this beautiful embroided quilt that I almost want to give up sewing all together. If I made that quilt I wouldn't ever use it ... it would hang on the wall.. very nice and some day maybe I will take the time she put into it and make one. I need more experience in embroidery, that's for sure. This is getting long so I will stop for now... just enjoy making your goodies and love what you make...all things handmade are precious.
I just started doing embroidery again. never did look good to me.
but a friend showed me how to make a nice back-stitch and I was surprised how much nicer things look now. did the teapots
and the tea cup pattern. never will be at a par with my friend though. she makes the smallest stitches--and I have seen her Rip-it too ! I just love the mechanics of piecing, etc. some days
I just do string blocks to soothe my soul.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:32 PM

Also, I know in knitting that if I work on it that close and see every little thread that is out of place. Step back from it and look with fresh eyes. You'll be surprised at how good it looks.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:42 PM

as ye sew, ye shall rip!!!!
Old 07-16-2010, 06:57 PM

There are so many really talented people on this site. I'm in constant awe. I've been at it for years and I can't hold a candle to most of them. But I enjoy the process and I make quilts for people I care about and that's good enough for me.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
just think that you are not really a quilter? Some of them are so beautiful and at times I despair over ever making something that pretty. Especially when I spend a day like yesterday......ripping out seams! I guess i should give myself a break.....I just started quilting last year after all and I have made what I think are some pretty quilts.
Don't get discouraged, there is so much to learn, I've been quilting for years and still make stupid mistakes, and have to rip things out. I to hold up my hopes that I will be as good as some of these women.But, at the same time, I am very proud of what I have been able to accomplish. I am a self-taught quilter, and have learned so much in the last 5 years since I joined my guild, and even much more since I joined the board. I can see the improvements in my quilts, and everyone I do now seems to be a little bit better, I seem to learn something new that clicks in my brain and helps me to achieve a better quilt. And, the encouragement I get makes it even easier to try harder.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:20 PM

i get so much inspiration from the quilts i see on the forum. plus, it helps to know i'm not the only whackado that spends all her time playing with fabric & colors. also, my seam ripper is the 2nd most used piece of equipment in my sewing room.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Power Poster

I've been quilting for 34 years (off and on) and I admire all the talented quilters on this board. I am astonished at their beautiful quilts but I'm sure even they, at times, become good friends with their seam rippers.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:01 PM

I am not the best or greatest but we can all learn from each other. And the ladies here are free with their ideas, knowledge. and encouragement.
I have not been here long but feel inspired to try new things I have before avoided.
So keep sewing. Never know the quilt everyone admires next may be your own.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:46 AM
Banned

[quote=ginnie6]just think that you are not really a quilter? Some of them are so beautiful and at times I despair over ever making something that pretty. Especially when I spend a day like yesterday......ripping out seams! I guess i should give myself a break.....I just started quilting last year after all and I have made what I think are some pretty quilts.[/quote

the other day I spent tearing my hair out only trying to get a binding on a quilt who's edge had gone wavy---------I wanted to scream, no-one here so I went on live chat and the wonderful ladies on there soothed me so and all said this had happened to them-------I am a complete novice and pretty useless but most of the time it is soothing and therapeutic ,so don't be ashamed/give up just enjoy.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:45 AM

Sometimes we need to walk away and go back later. I had to do that myself a few weeks ago not once but several times on the same quilt.