Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Patty's Biscuit Quilts >

Patty's Biscuit Quilts

Patty's Biscuit Quilts

Old 06-07-2010, 06:10 AM

I love this quilt, it looks like so much fun to make. And use up all those scraps too, another one on the list!
Old 06-07-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by quilter1
I love this quilt, it looks like so much fun to make. And use up all those scraps too, another one on the list!
Thank you and yes it is a lot of fun to make. Since mine is one of my granddaughter's favorite quilts when she visits, I plan to start working on another one and eventually she'll get it. One I did with these two was work on it while working on other quilts. Every time I cut fabric for whatever quilt I was working on, I'd also cut up 1/2 a year of fabric into these hexagon pieces and when I'd start to piece a quilt, I'd quickly sew up the cut sections and stored in a laundry basket until I had enough completed to put the quilt together or at least get a good start on it. The throw is honestly the easier of the two to make because you don't need so many pieces/biscuits. The quilt has amazed me too with how well it is wearing. It looks as beautiful as the day I made it and isn't showing any wear at all other than the few short seams that I did have to sew back up.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:58 AM

Cute quilt and a great way to use up scraps! What kind of batting did you use? I have a lot of Warm and Natural scraps, but it doesn't seem like the quilt would be as puffy if I used that.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:47 AM

nice something new to think of is the back the same as the front to make it reversible that been nice i think but it looks good thank you
Old 07-18-2010, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Julo
Cute quilt and a great way to use up scraps! What kind of batting did you use? I have a lot of Warm and Natural scraps, but it doesn't seem like the quilt would be as puffy if I used that.
I agree with you. I use polyester batting that I buy at JoAnn's that comes in a bag. I always just buy a queen sized bag and cut it up as needed for whatever quilt I use. As a hand quilter and one who does quilt as you go, that's all I've used over the years and it washes and wears beautifully. I've never used warm and Natural although I've heard and read rave reviews about it. I like all of my quilts to have a puffiness to their appearance. So glad you like it.

Whenever you piece a quilt, you can make one of these little biscuits and put into laundry basket or other container and one day you find you have enough to complete a pretty throw or a nice quilt. It's a wonderful weight for a throw but I don't care for the queen sized quilt that I made using this pattern as it feels so heavy but then since relocating from IL to FL we prefer lighter weight quilts nows.
Hugs
Patty
Old 07-18-2010, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Elsie
nice something new to think of is the back the same as the front to make it reversible that been nice i think but it looks good thank you
Many of my pieces are the same fabric front and back but like with all scrap quilts, sometimes you have enough for one side but not enough for two so then I used a different fabric and didn't worry about. It's a very efficient use of scraps as eventually you'll have enough of the little biscuits for a nice quilt.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

Both quilts are beautiful.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by ann clare
Both quilts are beautiful.
Thank you Ann.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by grammypatty7
Originally Posted by Elsie
Many of my pieces are the same fabric front and back but like with all scrap quilts, sometimes you have enough for one side but not enough for two so then I used a different fabric and didn't worry about. It's a very efficient use of scraps as eventually you'll have enough of the little biscuits for a nice quilt.
i have try it on my machine i really like it it be nice to make for my two young grandson one 5 and the other is 8 so it be perfect for them
Old 07-18-2010, 07:42 PM

Oh My Word, they look just like biscuits. That is so neat.