Mother of the groom Dress?

Old 07-19-2010, 05:20 AM

I have had three sons get married, I looked on the clerance racks and watched the mothers dress's at wedding in the year before, last wedding loved the mother of the bride's dress told her so. She said if you ever need it you can borrow it, and that is what I did. Hint: Trided it on for my future daughter in law she said she liked it then told her I was borrowing it.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:40 AM

I found my mine on Ebay. If you look on the left hand side when you search dresses, it will give you a chance to put in style, color, size, etc. It eliminates ALOT of searching. The woman I purchased it from has an EBAY store too. She's wonderful. I told her about my money situationater I won the auction. She offereded to send to it me FREE. See, there are still GREAT people out there. The outfit cost me on $29.95 and it was new. I told her I could afford to pay. When I received the package, she had included another dress suit in the box. The wedding was June 2009,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-74259.jpe
Views:	67
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	74264  
Old 07-19-2010, 09:58 AM

Congrats, Donna! You'll be stunning, whatever you decide to wear!

My youngest has had the best luck shopping at the Goodwill and Salvation Army stores recently: she has brought home at least 3 dresses for Homecoming/Prom and not paid more than $4 for any of them. Two were David's Bridal tags, and I don't recall the third that was so pretty. She had a lovely copper one that will be for her BF's Homecoming this fall ($3), a pretty golden egg-y yellow colored one that she wore for Prom ($4), and another one that was a pretty greenish-blue for $4. None had to be altered in any way .... yes, she was really lucky, but she LOVES shopping there. Finds terrific deals all the time.

And if you go this route, you can buy some nicer shoes for yourself. Just don't tell anyone how much your dress REALLY cost; they won't believe you 'cuz you'll look like a million $$!

Odessa
Old 07-19-2010, 10:22 AM

We have NBC (Name Brand Clothing) stores here that sells better clothing for half of half the original price (75% off). You'll need to have time to go through lots of merchandise and possibly do some repair, or replace buttons, etc. It isn't always possible to repair some damage, but I've found good bargains over the years.
Good luck!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:02 AM

Odessa, I plan on telling them I got it at a boutique if I buy used!! My friend tells me shops at Sals all the time I finally asked where it was- Salvation Army!! I am so thakful for this site everyone is so helpful!! I know this was not a quilting question So maybe I need to find a cool pattern for a clutch purse I can crazy quilt to add to the outfit I finally get!!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:19 AM

Great idea Donna. Remember, I can help make anything you want by adjusting a regular pattern that is the basic style. Just let me know.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:20 AM

Hey, I am not sure where you go to buy stuff up there. Traverse City? Bay City/Saginaw?/GR JC Penney has nice stuff and the catalogs on line have good prices. Don't forget about QVC or HSN if you have cable.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:00 PM

Heck we got nothing on this side of the state!! I thought about Saginaw or Travers City too!! I will be going to my sons in Ohio in Feb. So may have to look at the mall there.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:47 PM

Thanks, Donna, for starting this topic! My son's getting married, too. When I have more time I'm going to read through all these comments (wow-7 pages in just a few days). This should be a big help!
Old 07-19-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by red roses
Thanks, Donna, for starting this topic! My son's getting married, too. When I have more time I'm going to read through all these comments (wow-7 pages in just a few days). This should be a big help!
There are lots of suggestions and helpful people on t is board! I am overwhelmed at the generosity here! Let me know when your DS is getting married maybe there are some websites I can help you with, I did find a couple with dresses under $100.00 some less than 50 depending on what you are going to be looking for.