Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Tutorials
  • My Carpenter's Star Pattern >
  • My Carpenter's Star Pattern

• My Carpenter's Star Pattern

Old 07-18-2010, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by danmar
    Originally Posted by Calico Grammy
    As soon as I saw your pattern I fell in love with it and set to work on one for a very special neighbor. Retired policeman and a "basement carpenter". His favorite holiday was the 4th of July and they celebrated every year with over a 100 guest and lots of fireworks! Always a big day, that's why I chose the red/white & blue. Father's Day he was diagnosed with acute lukemina and died on July 2. It devasted us all. They proceeded to celebrate "his" holiday and I gave the wall hanging to his wife, as I had made it for them both. She was very pleased with the gift.
    I'm so sorry for the loss of your neighbor. The wall hanging is awesome. I'm sure that he would of loved it. I do. You did a great job on it. I'm glad his wife liked it.
    THANK YOU!
    Old 07-18-2010, 05:30 PM

That's pretty
    Old 07-18-2010, 08:49 PM

Hi everybody! I got several requests for the pattern for my Carpenter's Star so I am here to post it for everyone to enjoy!
    It's really quite a simple block to make, especially after you make the first one. Don't get me wrong though, I said simple, Not "Fast"! LOL I have made about 125 of these blocks so far. It took me all day when I first started. Now it takes me between 3 1/2 and 4 hours to make One. The pattern is made completely out of squares and half squares. If you have any questions, Please don't hesitate to ask! I'd be more than happy to help anybody. I hope this Homemade Pattern is written so that people can understand it. If not, let me know and I will make it clearer.
    NOTE: On the half square units, don't cut the squares into half squares until AFTER they are sewn. Mark your center line diagonally, sew together and then cut unit in two, to make 2 half square units. I hope that is what they are called anyways!
    Here's the pattern and Please post pictures of your first blocks and projects you make so I can see. I love pictures!
    Danmar that is a wonderful star here is a link to the color pattern I have done.....thank you for putting it up http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-55119-1.htm
    Old 07-18-2010, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by davef
    Hi everybody! I got several requests for the pattern for my Carpenter's Star so I am here to post it for everyone to enjoy!
    It's really quite a simple block to make, especially after you make the first one. Don't get me wrong though, I said simple, Not "Fast"! LOL I have made about 125 of these blocks so far. It took me all day when I first started. Now it takes me between 3 1/2 and 4 hours to make One. The pattern is made completely out of squares and half squares. If you have any questions, Please don't hesitate to ask! I'd be more than happy to help anybody. I hope this Homemade Pattern is written so that people can understand it. If not, let me know and I will make it clearer.
    NOTE: On the half square units, don't cut the squares into half squares until AFTER they are sewn. Mark your center line diagonally, sew together and then cut unit in two, to make 2 half square units. I hope that is what they are called anyways!
    Here's the pattern and Please post pictures of your first blocks and projects you make so I can see. I love pictures!
    Danmar that is a wonderful star here is a link to the color pattern I have done.....thank you for putting it up http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-55119-1.htm
    Thank you, davef! I made a Carpenter's Star in almost the same colors. I put a picture of it on your post. I'm glad that you like the pattern. It is my favorite. Here's mine like yours, same basic colors.
    Marilyn

My Carpenter's Star Jan. 11, 2010
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]74366[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-74361.jpe
Views:	553
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	74366  
    Old 07-20-2010, 11:26 AM

Jodimae - I think the colors are beautiful, Mom will love it - good job!
    Old 08-15-2010, 12:03 PM

Great color choices and a good job.
    Old 08-15-2010, 06:42 PM

Sometimes when I'm doing baby quilts for my guilds "Reaching Out" I will make a 24" block (I love the carpenters wheel for this) and put several plain borders on it to make it somewhere around 48" inches. It's quick and looks like you spent a lot of time on it. I especially like carpenters star in red, white & blue.
    Old 09-14-2010, 08:26 AM

If you ever need a really clear pattern for any quilt block, always try
    Marcia Hohn's "QuiltersCache". She has posted hundreds of blocks
    with great directions and a sample quilt. It is all free and she has
    done many quilters such as myself a GREAT service.
    She also has them sorted by difficulty and size. - Judy
    Old 11-06-2010, 06:33 AM
    BMP

I really do love this star, I am on my way to LQS to pick up some Thangles I am not so good with the funky measurements.
    I would like to make a Christmas runner with the block.
    Old 11-06-2010, 03:27 PM

Thank you so much. This is so nice.