Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the best most inexpensive longarm??? >

What is the best most inexpensive longarm???

What is the best most inexpensive longarm???

Old 07-20-2010, 02:46 PM

My friend and I set it up by ourselves and started to learn the Lizzie stitch. Doing pantogram is simple. But we wanted to do some hard things. We stitched out a rose on a piece of fabric, saved it and used it as the design on the final quilt. It was fantastic. There are several Tin Lizzie groups now with great ideas. Only problem, the thread winder is supposed to refill itself as you quilt. It doesn't quite do that so we bought a commercial winder and now no problems.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:10 PM

my Bailey..

Bailey 15...a lot re does there handles..haven't done mine so far..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]73458[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-73453.jpe
Views:	254
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	73458  
Old 07-20-2010, 03:15 PM

to feline fanatic: The Innova is exactly what I want. Decided at the quilt show here in Omaha. It has a very easy movement and doesn't seem as heavy as some, line the Gammell. It will take a couple of years, but I will have one. Right now I have a Janome 1600P on a New Joy frame. It's good for starters.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:56 PM

I bought mine brand new off of ebay. It's a Tin Lizzie 18 and has a stitch regulator, laser for panographs, there's a button for setting stitch length and needle position (up or down). It came with all of this, the frame and a couple of rolls of pantographs. I bought mine a little over a year ago and paid $4995.00. No taxes because I bought out of state and they offered free shipping. So that was my total cost. It's a great machine and I love it. Now learning from my mistakes -- It took my husband and I 2 days to set it up. Then it took a while to learn how to load the quilt. If I had bought local it would have cost a little more but I would have had a Tech to deliver the machine and show me all the things I had to figure out on my own. They would also have set the machine up. I would have learned in one day what it took me nearly a month to figure out on my own. But I still love my Lizzie.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:32 PM

I got sticker shock when I went to the Gammill web site. I am glad to hear about others that are less expensive. I have wanted to check out the new Janome Horizon. Snce I am totally ignorant on this subject, I have a question. Is the Bailey etc a long mid, or short arm machine. Are the regular sewing machines (like Janome) called short arms? Is the mid arm more like a small long arm? I wat to get "one" but know it will never be a gammill, because I want all the bells and whistles and my first house cost less than they do.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:37 PM

Just about 15 months ago, I purchased a Babylock Jewel from my local dealer. It has a built-in stitch regulator, and stitches an 18" depth. the frame is by Gracie, and will accommodate a king-size quilt. I purchased the Quiltmotion this past spring, also thru Babylock. The Jewel is made by Handiquilter for Babylock, the Quiltmotion is made by Gracie company for Babylock. The Jewel is quite user-friendly, and only requires minimal maintenance-oil on race hook every 8 hours. The Quiltmotion is the computerized part of the deal, and is very user friendly. Babylock has awesome on-line classes for $20/hour that are worth every penny! The whole thing, Jewel, frame and Quiltmotion were $13K. Big investment, but I love it! The frame is 10' long-so you'll need to plan space accordingly! Babylock and Gracie Co have been excellent for support! Good luck in your quest!
Old 07-20-2010, 04:40 PM

Well, reading this with interest and it sounds like a whole different language. But I want one, probably a home style like Flynn and I think I'll go look at them now....:0)
Old 07-20-2010, 06:17 PM

I had a Kenquilt, went to the factory in Wichita, Kansas and tried them out and bought it. They delivered it and set it up. Had it about 7 years and had to sell it because of my arthritis. Didn't have many problems. One time I messed up the tension really bad and broke, called them, made and appointment took it to them and they fixed while I waited. For other regular maintenance my regular sewing machine repairman worked on it, he comes to the home, that is really nice. I've been using him for about 20 years and only one time did he have to take my sewing machine back to his shop to fix it, all the other times he fixed while he was here, 30 minutes usually. Not expensive either.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchwitch
Look at the advertisement on the inside cover of American Quilter or go to www.flynnquilt.com $130
I purchased one and it is great great
Wow! I'm gonna look. thanks.
Yall have all given me some very good information. I can't wait to start shopping.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Power Poster

Wow!! I wish I could get one but that will be a long way off if at all. Was a little intimidated by all the various machines.