Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the reason for...... >

What's the reason for......

What's the reason for......

Old 07-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Power Poster

I use clothes pegs and office clips (I have some big old ones). Hair clips are on my shopping list...I'll use anything except pins...I hate getting stuck with them all the time.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:42 PM

Yes I use them and love them. You can buy them as hair clips at the Dollarstore. They work just as well.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by seabolt22
Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats
I have not used clips, but think I might get some. I am always getting stabbed by the pins as I work my way around the quilt. Binding clips will stop this. Thanks for the question so I could think about it!
I use hair clips> They spring open and close easily. they are really inexpensive (12 for $1) at the dollar store, about $2+ at walmarts. Very easy to use.

I use the hair clips also. but due to the way i manipulate things I put them on the binding I have already sewed on the quilt ... so the thread doesn't loosen as I sew ... and I sorta tie the thread every 6-8 inches also.

I just do things that work for me.

ali
Old 07-20-2010, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats
I have not used clips, but think I might get some. I am always getting stabbed by the pins as I work my way around the quilt. Binding clips will stop this. Thanks for the question so I could think about it!
I LOVE using hair clips. They're so easy to use & quick to remove as you work around your binding. They hold very well, too
Old 07-20-2010, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
check an office supply store for the clip attacher shown at the martelli site. we use them all the time to clip bundles of paper too thick for staples. they come in several sizes.

i know martelli makes great products but i think the price for the refills is a bit ... er ... ummmm ... muchish.

for myself, i think the hair clips would be a more reliable way to attach the binding. i think the clippie thing would be clumsy to use on a sandwich of fabric and batting. the clips would also be more difficult to remove. they are designed to hold on for dear life.
Fully agree, office suppliers, much cheaper :thumbup:
Old 07-20-2010, 11:16 PM

I buy mine at Walmart for 89 cents. Have almost 100. Love them. DOn't love getting pricked with a pin every other stitch.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:23 PM

Im new and have yet to bind a quilt but my 1st thought was the office supply clips.... the "new and updated" version of a paper clip. I have been sewing for eons and have used them for many projects. They stay put, undo easily and can be real cheap! I have found many diff sizes at dollar stores and just stock up when i find them. The bigger ones hold 3"-4' thick ream of paper without moving. So they will handle a thick quilt.
Just make sure they dont get "stolen" from the family for other projects!! hehe especially kids doing reports. :mrgreen:
Old 07-21-2010, 04:14 AM

The only thing I don't like about using hair clips instead of the clips at the lqs, is that I found one of my hair clips had started to rust (and I had never used it for anything but this). I thought the lqs was just tryint to upsell their clips when they said these were specially made not to rust your quilt so easily. So, I just bought 3 packages of the quilt clips, spread out over 3 months and using my Joann's coupon each time. I haven't had a problem since. But I love the idea of using large binding clips for the thicker quilts. Going to walmart today!
Old 07-21-2010, 04:21 AM

When putting binding on my quilts, I use hair clips (the cheap metal ones). I just clip a short section of the binding, sew it, move the clip, sew to the clip again, then move again.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:54 AM

Dingle

I learned from my mistakes, mistake of pinning that is. I have new arotic valve and have to take coumadin. When I pin I usually us gloves, or I have all five fingers of each hand with a bandage on. As I moved the quilt around I began getting picks on my knees and legs. I immediately went to Walmart to get the clips, about 3 boxes. They are higher in price then pins, but they don't hurt, or get blood on my quilt. Speaking of blood this might be nice to share, I found out that spitting on your own blood will remove it from anything you get it on including quilts. I then wash them in the wash machine when it is completed. Good luck, I know you will love the clips :lol: Pam from Chippewa Falls, WI. (as stated above, hair clips can be used, but they rust, and rust is hard to get out)