Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One Project at a time? or more? >

One Project at a time? or more?

One Project at a time? or more?

Old 07-21-2010, 04:28 PM

I have numerous quilts started. My problem - I just plain get bored. I do, however, put each project in it's own little tote so I don't lose any pieces (that's happened before, too).

I also do a lot of other needlework (counted cross stitch, embroidery, sewing, etc.) just so I don't get bored. Of course, finishing projects is another story!!
Old 07-21-2010, 05:02 PM

When I started, I swore I was only going to do ONE project at a time, unlike my friend who got me into this who had about 10 going when I saw her. No way I could do that. Welllll...it happens. I get to the "waiting for sandwiching" phase and set it aside and start something else. Then I take a class and start yet another. Then I want to do a specific charity quilt or Quilt for Kids and it gets in the mix. Now I have 3 (I think) waiting to be quilted and 4 ready for sandwiching and 2 being pieced. I can't afford to send them out, so I need to quilt them myself, and I'm still a real beginner in that category, so I avoid it. I really want to get them done so they can go to the charities I donate to, but I get blocked at those last stages. But, I've learned so much from the men and women on this board...I may even get some completed one of these days. :-) I'll never be a 'one at a time' gal though.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:17 PM

I have two to four projects at a time going. If I get stuck on one project or use Jack (the Ripper) too much, I must leave and do something else. I try to take my time and enjoy the process, but if I find I am becoming frustrated, I get up and do something else, walk outside, plaly with the dogs, etc. I have AADD in a mild form and so have learned to compensate. I try not to have to many WIPS or UFO's. That drives me crazy.
I clean my sewing room as I go, but throw the threads and tiny scraps on the floor. Go figure.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:26 PM

Wow! I guess I'm odd man out here. I only work on one at a time - that's what motivates me to finish so I can start on the next one. I do think about the next project a lot before I finish the current project

I guess I could look at this from a psychological point of view. Most of my life has been complex. I am now at the point where, as a widow, I live alone with my two cats. I purposely got a very boring job (used to have stressful job with large corporation), and tried to eliminate as much stress in my life as possible. Juggling more than one quilting project at a time would just feel like stress to me. Anyway, whatever works for a quilter is the way to go. Whatever floats your boat.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:28 PM

I always have several going on at once. I have a project I'm doing w/friends & we meet usually once a week. Also I can get bored if I'm doing a project with the same block repeated over & over - & of course have to interrupt everything if I need to make a gift.
But as the original poser said, I can't work in clutter. So any project not finished is kept aside, all elements together in a tote - helps keep things neat.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:35 PM

one at a time? LOL...Never! :)....sometimes I want to piece, sometimes bind...some days I like to work with blue/green/pink...always excited about new ideas and projects so can't wait until others are finished - need to dig right in! wish I could be sewing with one hand and checking out the QB with the other...
Old 07-21-2010, 05:38 PM

I eventually finish what I have started but I must be ADHD because I do tend to jump from one idea to the next...too creative perhaps! LOL
Old 07-21-2010, 06:10 PM

I piece only one project at a time; I never set it aside until the piecing is completed and all the scrap cleanup, etc., is done. At the same time, I always keep one I'm hand-quilting upstairs and one I'm either hand- or machine-quilting downstairs. I also have quite a few tops stored away waiting to be sandwiched and quilted.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:22 PM

I may be the only one on here that is OCD! I try to always have exactly 3 projects going. I hand quilt and machine quilt so there is always something on my handquilting frame. It does not leave the frame until it is finished! The other 2 projects are usually a top ready for machine quilting and lots of pieces ready for a top to be made. I have found that if I had too many projects going nothing got finished!!!
Old 07-21-2010, 07:31 PM

i have the same problem, i get bored so right now i have about 10 porject,s going on, and nothing done lol