Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One Project at a time? or more? >

One Project at a time? or more?

One Project at a time? or more?

Old 07-21-2010, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by pieces
I can only work on one project at a time. And find it hard to start a project if its necessary before finishing up a project.
If I have to start something new for a gift, I try to make notes so when I return to my main project I know where I left off.
I like a neat sewing room and if I have a couple projects going on at the same time I fel like I'm working in clutter.
After reading posts on this board it sounds as though many quiters work on several projects at a time. Is this the norm?
Do most quilters finish a project before starting another?
Do most quilters have several projects going on at once?
Curious to hear feedback.
I am with you to an extent. I am finding once i piece a top, I like to take a break from the quilt for a while. So I start another project then when a second one is pieced I will go back and quilt the first one, and then piece another top, then go back and quilt the second top and so on. I find it is nice to put the tops out of the closet with some fresh eyes on it to quilt it. I usually end with a completely different quilting design then I originally planned.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:06 PM

I usually have more than 1 project going at a time. I guess because sometimes I feel like piecing and other times, like quilting or cutting.

For example, I just finished piecing 2 QFK tops. Now they need to be quilted, but I need to start a baby quilt for my DH co-worker so I may cut that out tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:25 PM

I guess because I'm new to quilting, I'm kind of like you. I prefer to finish one project before I start another. As an experienced seamstress, I also know that if I leave something for too long, I really don't want to go back to it. I don't get bored because I sew different things: jackets, bags, small quilts, etc.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:22 PM

I have so many projects going on right now that I have them in a spread sheet. I have promised myself that, after these are done, I am never going to have more than three going at one time, it is too stressful. I like to have more than one going on at a time for several reasons. My back and neck get sore from sitting in the same position for too long so I go from hand quilting to machine piecing to embroidery or applique. If I work on the same project for too long I get tired of it or one project may get difficult and I will need a break from it so I won't wad it up and throw it in the back of the closet. BUT having as many UFOs that I do right now is enough to make me run away from home.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:41 AM

I think it depends on how you prefer to work. I have quilt friends who only work like you do. Start a project and finish before they consider the next. Myself I have lots of projects going. One will be at binding (which I do while watching TV with DH) One will be at design stage, one at cutting, etc. etc. There are always things that come up to interrupt the main project I am working on. Blocks for a club project, cheer blocks for quilt friends, the list goes on.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:58 AM

I am basically a one project at a time person. First, I don't have a large dedicated sewing/quilting room,so I can't have a lot of projects laid out at once, also I am a teacher and do most of my quilting in the summer,when I have more time off so I only get one or two projects done then. I think that whatever works best for you is what you should feel comfortable with.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:01 AM

I'm with you! I have to see a finished product and once I start, I want to finish! Maybe I'm not a "real" quilter but it works for me. I also don't have a stash other than scraps from other projects--I buy what I need when I start a project to insure that I have enough.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

Definitely multiple projects at a time. Usually I have some piecing, some quilting and some planning project going. Many get finnished but I am afraid there is a good number just sitting there stuck mostly at the quilting part.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:23 AM

look to the bottom of this message!!! I try put it doesn't work!!
Have a quilty day,

simple quilter
Old 07-22-2010, 04:39 AM

LIke Charismah, I have several. what determines what I work on is my mood, timelines (if any), and pretty much where I am in the house. I also enjoy hand embroidery, crochet, knitting etc. I currently have 3 quilting projects in the works, I have 5 priority projects I will tackle as soon as I have completed some of all of the other 3. I am a finisher, no worries how many or how long it takes, I will complete these!! Let loose, enjoy your projects, don't count them. I had to count how many I have to write up this email. But don't usually worry to much about it, I often fall in love with patterns and love of fabrics is an ongoing affair!