Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One Project at a time? or more? >

One Project at a time? or more?

One Project at a time? or more?

Old 07-22-2010, 08:10 AM

I should But I don't.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:23 AM

I like to have several going at one time, that way if I feel like cutting, I do that, if I feel like, piecing I can do that, feel like quilting ...you get the picture. I have 8 that I'm working on right now, and 2 that I really want to start, but keep telling myself to get a few of these done first.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by klgreene
I like to have several going at one time, that way if I feel like cutting, I do that, if I feel like, piecing I can do that, feel like quilting ...you get the picture. I have 8 that I'm working on right now, and 2 that I really want to start, but keep telling myself to get a few of these done first.
I agree. I keep one in each stage of the making. It is a process and it takes time. I also forget and don't know where I was if two get into the same pile.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:43 AM

I complete each project before beginning something new.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by dyer804
I guess because I'm new to quilting, I'm kind of like you. I prefer to finish one project before I start another. As an experienced seamstress, I also know that if I leave something for too long, I really don't want to go back to it. I don't get bored because I sew different things: jackets, bags, small quilts, etc.
I guess I really do have other projects going at the same time, just not quilting projects. I do have a cross stitch that I started during vacation and I'm crocheting a scarf for my niece for Christmas that I started when it was too hot to work upstairs in my sewing room. These are also good for evenings when we are watching something on TV. But when time circumstances allow, I latch on to a quilting project and try to finish it as soon as possible. I'm that same way when I start a book, read cover to cover if possible. Maybe I have some sort of disorder!
Old 07-22-2010, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by pieces
I can only work on one project at a time. And find it hard to start a project if its necessary before finishing up a project.
If I have to start something new for a gift, I try to make notes so when I return to my main project I know where I left off.
I like a neat sewing room and if I have a couple projects going on at the same time I fel like I'm working in clutter.
After reading posts on this board it sounds as though many quiters work on several projects at a time. Is this the norm?
Do most quilters finish a project before starting another?
Do most quilters have several projects going on at once?
Curious to hear feedback.
Wow, I admire your ability to work on only one project at a time. I am a many project gal so I usually have 2 projects going on at one time.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:00 AM

I read a lot in the evenings and I'm the same way...have to finish that book before beginning another one...just like quilting, etc. I think we do have some sort of disorder...lol!
Old 07-22-2010, 09:06 AM

I'd love to be able to work on more than one project at a time! I figured out a long time ago though that for me, this does not work. If I set aside a project to work on another, I tend to never finish the first. I have made the rule for myself that if I start a quilting project, I have to finish at least the quilt top before beginning another one. I make myself finish the whole quilt if I have the batting and backing/binding if I have the materials on hand for it at the time. I often don't have these on hand and have to wait til I have the $ to purchase them though, so I make an exception for myself in these cases. This doesn't mean that I can't do research planning and shopping for my next project though. I do admit to having about 4 or 5 projects on my do do/ wish list though. I really need to start building up my stash of backing and batting supplies.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
I feel it is the norm for a quilter to have many projects in the making at one time. I don't even want to count how many I have right now! :lol:
Don't count! I made the mistake of counting/making a list & found that I had so many UFOs I had to break them into categories, cutting, piecing, quilting, binding. I just love the excitement of starting something new & the satisfaction of finishing something, but all the stuff in the middle gets put on the back burner.

My total was 32! Now I'm not allowed to start something new until I check two things off my list, so I'm down to 20 something.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:02 AM

If anyone broke into my house through my quilting room they'd turn around and leave, saying "somebody beat us to it."