Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Deciding on a new machine >

Deciding on a new machine

Deciding on a new machine

Old 07-22-2010, 09:17 AM

I have a jem gold very basic, Looking to get a new machine, I can't decide whether to get another small Janome or a larger one.
Cathy
Old 07-22-2010, 09:39 AM

What kind of sewing do you do? Do you want to get into embroidery? How important are features such as a knee lift lever and needle threader to you?

There are many threads here about deciding what kind of machine to buy. Do a search on them for some ideas.

I have a Jem Platinum that I take to classes and I really miss that it doesn't have a knee lift lever like my bigger Janome does.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:47 PM

You might want to check out the new Janome 3160. I just bought one and it is great!
Old 07-22-2010, 01:57 PM

Like others have said do some research. I have a Janome Memory Craft 9000, 3 Singers and a Bernina 440QE. I have to tell you that the Bernina is a far better quality machine. Even the straight stitch is unbelievable. If you can take the time to try them all it would be good.

A friend has a Viking that she paid over $5000. and she has it in the shop more then home.

Several years ago I also had a Baby Lock. But was very poor quality and sounded like a bunch of tin.

Every one has their preference and mine is my Bernina. I would trade my husband before I would let any one take my Baby B.

Good luck, Karol
Old 07-22-2010, 04:21 PM

I love my Pfaff. The built in walking foot (IDT) can't be beat. I would do a lot of research. There have been a bunch of threads lately about choosing machines and a lot of great advice on how to compare them.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:02 AM

I have always had a foot pedal and don't mind that. I don't care to embroider just want more stitches and I do like the small machine because I camp and move around a lot

thanks for your help about searching other blogs
Old 07-23-2010, 01:04 AM

I will check out a Bernia thanks for the advice
Old 07-23-2010, 02:31 AM
tmg

I have the Janome Memory Craft 6500 and love it. It is one of the bigger ones and only paid $1100.00 for it. One day I would like to get a Bernia .Maybe when the kids are gone and I have the money. I also have a brother and a juki (I love love it) and a kenmore that belonged to my grandmother.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:18 AM

Why would you like a Bernia over a Janome?
Just curious.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by memere9
I have always had a foot pedal and don't mind that. I don't care to embroider just want more stitches and I do like the small machine because I camp and move around a lot

thanks for your help about searching other blogs
Cathy - The other questions you next need to answer are size and price (you already answered the Embroidery question). If you travel a lot, you may want to stay with a smaller lighter machine. You could also keep the new machine at home and travel with your Jem??

As to specific machines. - here is my 2 cents worth. All the major manufacturers produce good machines. Each brand has it's own thing going for it. Each brand has machines that span the sewing levels. Also, every sewer has their favorite machine. The machine needs to work for you.

I had a Babylock Ellagio that I loved and sold to purchase a used Pfaff 2170 (Embroidery). I Also had an OLD Viking 6370 which I gave to DD and bought a used Pfaff 2054. I currently love my Pfaffs because of the IDT which is an even feed system which eliminates the need for a walking foot. All of these machines are large and heavy.

I just purchased a Brother cs600i for classes/travel. Not a bad little machine - works just fine and is only 12 lbs. Would not want to depend on it to do all my piecing (it has only 2 needle positions) and the throat is much too small for Stitch in the Ditch on anything larger than a placemat (in my opinion :) )

I sold Vikings for a while - also excellent machines - some I thought were better than others but for the most part nice machines.

I would suggest you choose a price and a weight and go play with new ones in your area - then look at used as well. Good Luck