Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
long arm catastrophy >

long arm catastrophy

long arm catastrophy

Old 07-22-2010, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
So I took the quilt and tossed it in the wash and washed it on hot and dried it on high and the threads shrunk and tightened up and I did not have to fix anything!! But I never pre wash anything before I make a quilt.

Billy
I seriously considered doing that, and I have not prewashed any of these fabrics either but...I am so affraid it will not help and then it will be a bigger pain to pick out. So, thank you so much for the suggestion,and I will file it away for future use, but this time I think I will rip.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN
Might have a small tip that would help out. Try snipping the bobin thread about every 4 inches or so, then grab that thread with a pair of tweezers and pull really quickly. It doesn't leave the little puckers, and make fuzzy marks that way. Hope I explained it right
Understand completely...thanks for the tip!
Old 07-22-2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Dorrie
Hi, I had a very similar problem. It was not a large quilt (twin
size). Well, when I finished my attempt I was ready to throw it into the trash. I removed it from my sight for a couple of days...When I looked again it was still horrible. I was going to rip out but decided to put on another backing fabric. It took a long time to pin it on tight etc but I did. With right sides together I stitched 3 sides, turned it right side out and then closed the opening and top stitched the edges. I was prepared that it might be too loose and decided if that was the case, I was prepared to tie it only to the back. It finished perfect.
No tying necessary.

Good luck. Dorrie
I considered putting another backing on it and just quilting somemore, but I thought it might look stange to see more quilting on the front than the back. thanks for the idea though...will file it way for future use also.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:13 PM

Frog (ripit,ripit) the whole thing.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Granny B
Frog (ripit,ripit) the whole thing.
LOL...hopping to it!!!
Old 07-22-2010, 03:32 PM

Wish I were nearby, I'd be happy to help you pick.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:09 PM

Because I am relatively new with my midarm quilting machine I make sure to have extra fabric n the sides to check the tension. I check by feel and by looking. If all is well I am ready to go.

Why the extra on the sides? Because if I need a new bobbin or spool of thread I can still check tension without removing the whold quilt.

Awkward, Yes. Worth it ... definitely for me at this point in my learning curve.

ali
Old 07-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Power Poster

Sorry, the quilt is beautiful and in order to give it the justice it deserves you need to start picking.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:50 PM

Beautiful quilt! I was getting eyelashes on the bottom of my quilt, too. I belong to a yahoo group and someone suggested using thinner thread in the bobbin than what your using on the top. Guess what, it worked! You may want to give it a try. As someone else on the board suggested do a test run before proceeding to sew on your quilt.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:39 PM

Sorry I have been there. I ripped out the quilting on a king size log cabin when I first started quilting, I didn't know then that I should start from the middle and go out. I started at the side, and what a mess by the time I reached the other side (Machine quilting). i knew where to begin when I requilted it though. What size is the quilt? Good luck and you will definitely get to know your seam ripper well.