Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Irons >

Irons

Irons

Old 07-22-2010, 03:57 PM

I have a Rowenta and I won't get another one. Does not heat up enough and is very slow at heating.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:02 PM

I use a Sunbeam and love it. When it quits, I am only out $15.00. I have had really good luck and can't see spending 40 or 50 bucks.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:03 PM

My Hamilton Beach from WalMart has done it's best for me.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:37 PM

Well, ladies and gents, I feel for all of you purchasing all of these different irons over the years. Just last night as I was ironing pieced blocks my dh made a comment about the iron being so old. My instant reply was, "NO ONE has an iron like mine anymore"!

I got it 39 years ago from my dear dear Aunt as an engagement present. It's a GE "Spray, Steam & Dry" iron. Never once needed a repair. Works like a charm each and every time and always delivers steam when I put the button in the "steam" position.

They don't make 'em like they used to.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:48 PM

I love my Rowenta full size iron and have had it for 15 or better years. But I just recently purchased the Rowenta Travel iron to take back and forth to the Quilt Guild workshops and classes and I love that one too. The handle folds and makes it nice and compact.
Bed, Bath and Beyond is the best placed to get it and use your discount coupon that is mailed if you are signed up. It's more expensive at JoAnn's, but if you get a 50% off coupon, some stores won't honor it on a Rowenta iron.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:02 PM

Hi, I've had 2 Rowenta Professionals that died on me within 2 yrs. (>$120). Vowed not to buy another one.
Then went on a quilt weekend and several people had the Rowenta "First Class" iron and loved them. They are small and meant more for quilt getaways and ironing blocks and smaller pieces. Well, I bought one. LOVE IT! so much so that I bought another one to do my "daily" ironing with. Even use it for large quilts - just takes longer because the iron is smaller than a standard iron. Drawbacks are that it has no auto-shut-off (if you want one) and the water holder (tap water only - great) is small and needs frequent filling if doing a lot of ironing at one time. Pluses are it's small for travelling, dual voltage, use with or without steam, burst of steam, vertical steam, storage bag for travelling, lightweight. They can be bought at Bed Bath and Beyond for $40 minus any coupon you may have. They cost more at Jo-Anns and you cannot use a coupon at Jo-Anns for irons. Bought one at Jo-Anns, saw the better deal at BB&B and returned the one to Jo-Anns. BTW one of mine stopped giving out steam after 2 days of use. I had bought it several months earlier and saved for a weekend. I went back to BB&B and told them no steam, bought long ago, not used long, no sales slip. They looked up my "sales" on their computer, saw the sale, and exchanged my non-working one for a brand new one - no problem - GREAT SERVICE!
Old 07-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

I've had my Rowenta for several years now and have had no porblems but I might look into a Black and Decker as a second one for downstairs.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pati- in Phx
I have several irons currently..... and none of them are auto- shut off. When I go to the iron I want it HOT and Now. <G>

Pati, in Phx
Amen!
Old 07-22-2010, 05:15 PM

I always thought that Rowenta was the only iron you should have. Each year or less, I would have to buy another one and they're not cheap. Hancock's had a sale on their irons and I bought 2 at $12 each. Great irons. The first one lasted almost 2 years which the longest I have ever had an iron. I was also told not to use tap or distilled water but purified water and I don't get the spurts.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

i buy the cheapest w/steam at wally world, usually about 9-12
why bother when the cat knocks it down, and it workw just as good as the 60-80 range, and when it goes in 3-4 yrs, i got my money's worth.