Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Patty's Biscuit Quilts >

Patty's Biscuit Quilts

Patty's Biscuit Quilts

Old 07-19-2010, 02:45 PM

Patty, I love the biscuit quilts, too! I have never seen them before. So cozy looking. I really want to do one for a throw! Another project for "The List"!
Old 07-19-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by mollymct
Patty, I love the biscuit quilts, too! I have never seen them before. So cozy looking. I really want to do one for a throw! Another project for "The List"!
Hi Molly,
The real plus is that you can use scraps and even old clothing to cut up to make these. The only you buy is your thread and batting which is very affordable. Make a few pieces at a time and one day you have enough to make a nice throw and it can keep growing until you reach the size you would like it to be. They wash beautifully too.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:52 PM

Oh, I just love both of them quilts! I know I could not sew them by hand! Too much arthritis in thumbs! But would like to spend the quality time with dear hubby! What size are your hexagons?
Old 07-22-2010, 09:36 PM

Your quilts make me want to snuggle up and it's 90+ degrees here! Really nice! Congratulations on a job well done!
Old 07-23-2010, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ginger2010
Oh, I just love both of them quilts! I know I could not sew them by hand! Too much arthritis in thumbs! But would like to spend the quality time with dear hubby! What size are your hexagons?
Thank you Ginger. Straight edge to straight edge measure 5-1/2 inches and corner to corner is 6-1/2 inches and this includes the 1/2 inch seam allowance. If you go back to page 1 or so you'll see a scan of the plastic template that I bought just before finishing the throw. Prior to that I used cardboard templates made from cereal boxes. The plastic template has cuts in it so you have a choice of sizes from that one template. I just used the largest one as that's the one that was the same size as the one that came in the magazine where I found the pattern.

I think you could probably sew them together using the sewing machine and a zig zag stitch. Enjoy.
Patty
Old 07-23-2010, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by walen
Your quilts make me want to snuggle up and it's 90+ degrees here! Really nice! Congratulations on a job well done!
LOL. It's hot here in central FL too - 90's and near 100 many afternoons but I still hand quilt. Thank goodness for central air. Actually I tend to chill in the AC so quilting or knitting is a good way to keep warm or go outside of course. My husband gets frustrated when I put on a sweatshirt but lately it's been so warm that I haven't even been doing that very often.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:07 AM

What a great idea...I think I`ll try it for the Linus quilts I make...thanks for sharing... :-D
Old 07-23-2010, 06:03 AM

What stitch did you use to connect your biscuits? If you used a whip stitch, does the stitching show on one side? I'm wondering what stitch to use so that it can be reversible.

This really appeals to me. I like your ideas of using up scraps or old clothing and making just a few pieces at a time. I figure if I make a few each time I watch television, I should have enough in a year to make a quilt to cover up!
Old 07-23-2010, 06:10 AM

I remember when these biscuit quilts caught on and were being made a lot. Some people were stuffing them with cotton balls and others used those rectangular shaped facial cleansing cotton pads. It seemed like for a while there they were stuffing them with any and everything. I think I heard of some who used old panty hose for stuffing. I have seen them for sale in the Ozarks through the years. Anybody I have talked to who makes them say they are fun to make.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:11 AM

Wow!!!!!! That is beautiful.