Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lamp Question ??? >

Lamp Question ???

Lamp Question ???

Old 07-24-2010, 06:07 AM

I got an Ott Lite at Joann's on clearance for $24.99, reg. $99. Small but very bright. I would recommend one.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:31 AM

The Ott lights are great, but very pricey. I got something equally as bright (floor lamp) from mendards for $13. I've had it a couple of years and still love it. Its the LED lights that make it so bright. At the hardware stores you can also buy small LED lights that clip onto the bill of a cap, those are great when you're doing handwork too.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:16 AM

I have an Ott floor lamp. I really like it. It gives me a lot of light, and it's very adjustable so that you can get the light right where you want it. Mine has a couple of weird arms, one with a magnifying glass and one with a clip. They seem strange, but I've actually used the magnifying glass to thread a needle and the clip will hold directions or keep the bulk of the quilt off your lap. It's big, but not so heavy that I'm afraid to move it from place to place. For my money, it's the best lamp out there. Joann's sells them, and with a 50% off coupon, it's not very expensive.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:17 AM

I also have an Ott light, but my absolute favorite is my Pendant Lamp......which hangs around my neck and directs the light right to whatever I am working on. Its non-glare, not heavy at all, wieghs on 7½ oz. You can get them from Quilt Craft in La Sierra CA. They are at most of the large quilt shows......like Road to CA, etc.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:26 AM
SC

I have purchased a couple of these from Big Lots. They are MUCH less expensive & seem to be every bit as good as the Ott lights.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by finch
They sell lights at the Big Lots store that look like the ott lites.They are by far much cheaper and that is what my son used in his profession as a tattoo artist which requires good lighting.He liked them better than the ott lite.
Me too - I have the floor model and love it. It is in my living room. I have a desk top Ott light and it really doesn't do the job but its up next to my sewing machine.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
A nice floor lamp with an ott bulb would work great especially if it was adjustable! It was less than $5.00 at 40% off.
so i can use the ott bulb in a regular floor lamp?
does it get very hot? when i use my spectrum floor lamp i get too hot
Old 07-24-2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by laurac
Originally Posted by Up North
A nice floor lamp with an ott bulb would work great especially if it was adjustable! It was less than $5.00 at 40% off.
so i can use the ott bulb in a regular floor lamp?
does it get very hot? when i use my spectrum floor lamp i get too hot
Yes you can use the ott lightbulb in a regular floor lamp, I have a desk lamp with a bendable neck look for the one that is a regular bulb base. No it doesn't seem to get any hotter than a regular bulb.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:41 AM

I have found the "Ott" like lamps at Big Lots, Menards, and Walmart. I have two floor lamps, and three desk lamps. I use them for my quilting, reading, and my husband uses them for his hobby work. If someone can explain the difference between these bulbs and the "Ott" bulb I might consider spending $100 on a lamp. In the meantime I've spent $19 on the desk lamps and $39 on the floor lamps. Just a thought. :)
Old 07-24-2010, 10:44 AM

I have two Ott lights. I got them both at Ross for $15 each. I got replacement bulbs cheaper at Wally World.