Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which pattern for a first quilt? >

Which pattern for a first quilt?

Which pattern for a first quilt?

Old 07-24-2010, 06:38 PM

My beginning quilting class was a log cabin using Eleanor Burns book, which had very good instructions.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:44 PM

9 patch or rail fence would be my choice for a beginner. Don't want them to get overwhemed on their first quilt!
Old 07-24-2010, 06:48 PM

Hi, Sis. I liked the two quilt patterns you taught in your last class, but then I might be a bit prejudiced. :) As a beginning quilter, I really appreciated everything you taught us. I wish I remembered it all. I don't even remember the names of the two patterns you taught, but I love my finished quilts.

There are good ideas here though. I even recognize most of then names of the patterns!
Old 07-24-2010, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by catrancher
My first quilt was a nine-patch and rail set on point. I learned SO MUCH from just that one quilt. I especially liked it because it looked like a real quilt rather than something so simple I could make it without any instruction. By that I mean that a quilt made just from row upon row of 6-inch blocks is so simple a child could figure it out. When I finished this quilt, I had something I was really proud of. It was simple enough for a beginner to do a good job and have a nice quilt, but not so simple that it looked simple.

If you would like, I'd be happy to send you the instrucitons via email or snail mail. Credit to my quilt teacher Lorraine G. from the local community college.
That is a very nice quilt, and I don't think I've ever seen that combination before.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:14 PM

9-patch is versatile--from scrappy to one-three colors for a single Irish chain. In my quilt class last year, we started on a Trip Around the World, then we did a sampler to learn different techniques. The Log Cabin is one our instructor said she always had trouble with. I think she was just too particular and didn't like to have any mistakes.
Our sampler had a rail fence in it, and it was not as easy as it looked like. Getting the seams exactly 1/4" at the beginning and at the end was my bugaboo. It also could be a Basket Weave. Good luck!!
Old 07-24-2010, 07:21 PM

My quilting teachers gaves us one block cut out with directions to follow and we brought them back next times and we put the sampler together as I thought we were all sewing the same thing. My it was pretty. It was queen size and it was a great teaching aid for all the class.
Forth class was a row of applicated flowers and we then sewed them in rows with sashes inbetween. We had to make more than one quilt and all were given to the Skagit Cleaners for fun raising to help a self help group. I do the hand sewing and another lays it out and one steples it.
I am handicap when it comes to sewing so must get someone else to cut things out for me to sew. I can't keep my hand
steady enough to rotory cut any thing out but believe me I
try. Angeline....
Old 07-24-2010, 07:45 PM

In my Beginner class a couple of years ago, we did Yellow Brick Road by Atkinson Designs.

judee
Old 07-24-2010, 08:03 PM

Our girls were in a homeschool quilting class a few years back and one lesson they had was on using the color wheel and how to coordinate colors. They even brought their own color pencils and ,ade their own color wheel to use. It was great and they all enjoyed it.
Just a suggestion.:)
Old 07-24-2010, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
My first class as a beginner was a sampler quilt. We learned so many techniques!! I will always be grateful for my introduction into this wonderful art form!!
I too learned by doing a sampler. I learned so many different blocks with different techniques...it was the best foundation for learning to quilt because it included so much.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:55 PM

My class to learn quilting went for the same amount of time and I was taught a bird nest's - it was a straight tree with a nest at the top with leaves - all appliqued etc