Lost Arts (and Crafts)

Old 07-25-2010, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by jacie
long ago? I sorted all toll tickets for long distance calls at Ma Bell BY HAND. Operators would write the time the call started, and finished, and we would figure out the cost on a comptomator. remember any of this?
Jacie
Funny you should bring this up. My sister and I were talking about that just last night (she worked for PacBell for 30 years). My very first job was sorting out those tickets. I lasted all of one week because I was so bored I slowed down instead of getting faster! :)
Old 07-25-2010, 10:58 AM

I never did this, but remember keypunch operators who punched cards for use in computers? Remember "do not fold, spindle, or mutilate"? When I first started college and we registered for classes, we were handed a key punch card for the class we were enrolling in. It was awful. We stood in line for hours, according to our priority (according to how long we'd been in school). When we got to the head of the line, one or more of our classes might have filled up in the meantime, and we'd have to go to the back of the line and start all over again. By the time I was in grad school, we were registering by phone and people complained about difficulty getting through when everyone was calling in at once. Boy, I'd never go back to the good old bad old days of waiting in line to register.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by ctack2
Counting change out? If the register doesn't tell them how much to give you in change, they're lost!
I love the look on someones face when I let them ring up my money, then throw them a few pennies. Sometimes I'll say "here's 3 pennies, just give me a quarter back". lol
That is so true, i will do that too!
Old 07-25-2010, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by redkimba
Originally Posted by Aussie Quilter
I still darn (wool) socks. Something I've always enjoyed doing. In fact my MIL who used to hate darning socks, used to give me FIL's wool work socks to darn. Couldn't understand how I could like darning.
I always used a burned out light bulb when I USED to darn!

...the lost art of mending (especially sock darning) and the complete inability of people when it comes to polishing shoes!
[/quote]

where do you find a darning egg?

when I learn to knit socks, I will need one of those for mending.[/quote]
Old 07-25-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by quiltilicious
Originally Posted by redkimba
Originally Posted by Aussie Quilter
I still darn (wool) socks. Something I've always enjoyed doing. In fact my MIL who used to hate darning socks, used to give me FIL's wool work socks to darn. Couldn't understand how I could like darning.

...the lost art of mending (especially sock darning) and the complete inability of people when it comes to polishing shoes!
where do you find a darning egg?

when I learn to knit socks, I will need one of those for mending.[/quote]

Kint Picks - just saw one in their latest catalog. (I still have my mother's)[/quote]

My mother use to use a lightbulb that was out of service.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:10 PM

You can use a light blub for a darning egg for mending socks.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:40 PM

I find that their are not many people who book binding, or even repair books.
I have made apple butter in the chimney house. It is cooked in a cooper kettle over an open fire.
I have plucked and dressed chickens.
We make our own sauage.
I like to recyle cloth so I made rug rag stripes and have someone weave them for me. My Mother made home made soap from grease and lard. I never learned how.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:00 PM

How amny people do you know that still weave rugs? I grew up next door to a lady that used to make them. She sold a lot of rugs!!
Old 07-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Dee

So many lost arts and crafts. Kids don't play outside, no imagination. Everything has pictures and how to do everything and anything. Listen to ole radio programs and had to use great imagination.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:17 PM

My grandmother always wore dresses. When they got stained or couldn't be worn as a dress, she made aprons out of them. When they were too stained or torn, she tore strips from them and made rugs with a loom. She took every zipper, button, hook and eye, off everything and saved it. That had to do with going through the depression. I sure wish I had one of her rugs. Once a year, she made soap using lye and some other stuff. It smelled awful while she was boiling it. As I recall, it didn't suds much.