Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jean Quilts >

Jean Quilts

Jean Quilts

Old 07-25-2010, 10:02 AM

I haven't made a jeans quilt, but just made a diaper bag. It's really cute. My grandaughter and her husband give me their old jeans, so I have plenty of that fabric for projects.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:13 AM

Also made picnic blankets, add 4 pockets and place a red kerchief in each pocket and flannel backing Several have been donated to organizations having fund raising by auctioning baskets This was a fun project with a couple bottles of wine and wine glasses and snacks cheese, crackers ect and make
Makes a neat basket and draws many bidders
Old 07-25-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by BKrenning
Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
All those quilts are fantastic! I have 2 grown sons and a husband who wear practically nothing but jeans, so I am going to start saving them! I also think I will comb garage sales and thrift shops to gather more quickly! I would love to make that cathedral window version! Never done one, is that pattern hard????
No, it was super easy & quilt as you go. You'll want to do it in sections though because it will be get heavy, very quickly.

I started to cut the circles out with scissors when I remembered a circle cutter I had bought years ago & never opened. That was a tremendous help & timesaver after hubby figured out how to use it properly. He got fascinated by it and cut at least half of the circles. He wasn't interested in cutting any of the squares, though.
Do you have a specific Cathedral pattern or are they all the same? I know I have seen a pattern in one of my mags, I just have to look thru them to find it!
Old 07-25-2010, 12:53 PM

If you are asking me about quilting as you go, I either do and x pattern on the 10 inch block or a four patch grid on the block. I'm quilting through just denim and flannel, so it is pretty easy to quilt through. I do use a denim needle and I do use a walking foot, just so the layers do not migrate. Then, when all the blocks have been quilted together, I sew the blocks a 3/8 inch seam and cut the seam allowance so it will fray. Soft and reversible.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:28 PM

:thumb :thumbup: Great job , keep up the good work - by the time you are 16 you will be a star.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:24 PM

I love denim and bought fabric to back with demin. But the denim (from my husbands' old jeans, seems so stiff. Do any of you have this problem? I have not started the quilt because of this. Any suggestions?
Old 07-25-2010, 05:32 PM
Dee

Beautiful quilts. Now I can use the jeans i have saved, for a future quilt.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:31 PM

I've only made one so far but still saving jeans for the next couple of quilts. I cut all the jeans into 6 1/2inch squares and I have quite a few shades of blue, plus black, white, and other colors. I used a denim needle, either 14 or 16.

The first denim quilt I made, I arranged my different shades of blue. It was for my grandson who loved trains at the time. I bought a novelty print that had trains, I cut them out and fused and sewed them on every other square of denim, then I sewed all the sqs together. I did not use a batting, the quilt was quite heavy. I used flannel on the back and fleece on the the borders. Next time I won't use fleece. Then I did a large stipple quilting down diagonally in all the squares but not the ones with the trains.

I made it about 6 or 7 years ago and my grandson still loves it even tho he has grown out of trains.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 07-25-2010, 07:59 PM

I just made a dog bed out of recycled jeans. Loosely used the pattern on JoAnns.com for dog bed. Backed it with a used mattress with silly machine quilting. Closed up the edges, made corners, and stuffed it with batting trimmings. It fit the puppy's crate perfectly and even had his name quilted on it.

No expense - just stuff I had laying around.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:27 PM

Could someone tell me what kind of needles work best on denim? Every time I sew on denim, I end up breaking the needle in my machine (Singer). Thanks.