Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
weight loss challenge with a prize.....July sign >

weight loss challenge with a prize.....July sign

weight loss challenge with a prize.....July sign

Old 07-23-2010, 10:01 PM

Good evening all... I was just thinking, maybe, we should use the term "Change our eating habits" and not " diet". We are after all going to have to eat differently for the rest of our lives. This is not a temporary way to eat it needs to be a forever way to eat. That does not mean that we can never have that special treat ever again just not every day.
There are days when I have to keep out of the kitchen because I crave everything in there. That's when my sewing helps. I can get involved with a new idea or a new pattern I've found on the board, etc.
It's been almost a month and I have lost only 3 pounds. It's been a roller coaster ride but haven't been thrown yet with the help of all of you. Thank you one and all.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:58 AM

Good morning ladies. I am feeling pretty good as I look over this weeks journal. I want to get me a pedometer to wear every day so I can count the steps I take. They aren't real expensive, but I'll have to wait until after the 1st. I have also been doing some walking. Each time I go it gets easier. Everyone is probably busy today doing summer stuff. Don't forget to drink your water, eat fresh fruits and veggies. Hope you come back with sore muscles, a slight sunburn, and exhausted. Gwyn
Old 07-25-2010, 12:16 PM

Gwyn if you have a cell phone check it, mine has a pedometer programed in it.

I am still working on changing my eating habits. I've eaten more than I should have the last couple days. Not over eating but I want to keep my calories under a certain level. So I just added a bit more physical activity to my day to compensate.

I am still trying to increase my physical activity. I was reading to increase your BMI you need to increase your physical activity, and that is what burns calories. Yesterday, I walked the dogs about a 1/2 mile and rode 17 miles on the bike. I don't ride that many miles everyday, I work so I just don't have the time. I really like bike riding, it's like being a kid again.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:21 PM
Banned

i know i GAINED weight this week. DS will be home for a week starting friday so i guess dieting for me will have to wait.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:23 PM

I'll have to check my new phone. It is a blackberry I got for $35 on ebay. My kids are jealous.

If you aren't over eating but just needing a little bit more, it may be that you have built some muscles and they are hungry. Muscles are big and use a lot of energy. If you are eating healthy things and not candy bars, etc. and you are still loosing weight, your body may just need the calories in order to continue to work at the level you are working. If you can increase your workout to compensate for a little more food, I would stand up and cheer!
Old 07-25-2010, 02:13 PM

I went to a Girl Scout convention this weekend. I was really proud of myself... NO sweet stuff! And today, I have no white stuff aka potatoes with my grilled steak and steamed veggies and kitchen sink salad aka everything but.... :D
I haven't lost any more than the 5 lbs I lost the beginning of the month but tomorrow is weekly weigh in so we'll see.
Keep looking up folks and don't get discouraged .... keep moving forward... babies never give up when they want to walk
Old 07-25-2010, 05:29 PM

Have you noticed that when you try not to eat junk, there is someone there to encourage you to eat it? I guess nothing says lovin' like food.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
Have you noticed that when you try not to eat junk, there is someone there to encourage you to eat it? I guess nothing says lovin' like food.
Just not true...that is a commercial put out by a bakery company who wanted us to feed our family their stuff to PROVE we loved the...nothing really says "I love you" like supporting what ever you find important...our sewing, or bodies or our exercising.

So let's re-program ourselves, as well as those around us...tell them up front...don't leave them to guess...they are not that bright! Tell them that you are working on making yourself and your way of life, including your size and your health, better. You need their help and support...and if they are not going to do this with you, then they can eat their junk somewhere else! NOT in your face, and not to leave bits here and there either.

Time to put your big feet down...for me, diabetes was a shock. Suddenly after medications, I am totally insulin dependent...and my family told me they had no intention of changing THEIR eating habits...after all they were NOT diabetic. POOOOOOH on them.
So they can eat without me at the table...and if they leave their junk food laying around...I either throw it in the garbage can, with coffee grounds on top...stick the stuff in with a soiled diaper, or flush it down the toilet.

They grouched for quite a while, but finally they are beginning to turn around. Over 40 pounds has made a visible difference. So now, quietly, one at a time, they are asking me exactly what AM I doing to loose this weight, and can they eat with me...?

Fight the good fight ladies...your worth it. Each and every single one of you. Tape a note to the bathroom mirror...remember that you are worth it all...

stick a yucky photo of yourself on the refrigerator door...so before you open it to eat that no no...you see what you are working to change...that goes for the pantry door and the cookie jar, and where ever else you have a stash. Better yet, get yourself a huge trash bag, and throw that garbage where it belongs...out of harms way and into the trash. If it is not good for you...who is it good for anyway? NOBODY.

Sons/Daughters who come home are no reason to quit on your diet...sorry True...eat out at an all you can eat buffet, where he/she can have what he/she wants, and you can have what you should have...each gets his own. If he/she really loves his/her mom...he/she will understand and be proud of you for sticking to it...not using HIM/HER as your excuse.

I am stepping down off the soap box for now...maybe my silence is what this group needs...time for someone else to step forward and speak their mind for a while.

Grandma's are supposed to be for loving and spoiling...not for scolding and such.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:26 AM

You speak only the truth Grandma and I for one need someone on a soap box once in awhile to remind of the important things and that would be me and my health.

Thank Grandma!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:29 AM

Grandma: You said it all!