Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which pattern for a first quilt? >

Which pattern for a first quilt?

Which pattern for a first quilt?

Old 07-26-2010, 03:12 AM

My first classes were for a sampler quilt, which taught me how to make templates, how to rotary cut,selecting fabrics,placement of blocks, sashing,basting,binding all the basics. Each week I was taught a different block. I still refer to this quilt for ideas as I can see what the blocks look like and how to do them if I look at a pattern in a magazine or want to make my own quilt.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:52 AM

I agree that the nine patch is an easy, easy quilt to make. I actually taught grade school children using the nine patch and it went very well!
Old 07-26-2010, 06:08 AM

Alex Anderson has a book, "Start Quilting," that would be perfect for your class. She shows six different quilt blocks, and then she makes them into a quilt that is 40 1/2" x 40 1/2". They are: Friendship Star, Log Cabin, Nine Patch, Rail Fence, Flying Geese, and Nine Patch Variation. The NPV has a four patch in each corner, a darker square in the middle and light squares separating the four patches. (Sort of an Irish Chain.)

There are 6" blocks in her book, or you could make them any size. For beginners, I would think it would be better to have a larger block.

None of these are difficult. When the class was over, they could actually make six more quilts out of these patterns.

She shows a quilt made from the Nine Patch plus the Nine Patch Variation.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:40 PM

Love the nine patch, split rail. I think I can do that. I will PM you for pattern if you don't mind. I am a widow and I work full time so I have to really work at finding time to quilt. I do love it.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:02 PM

My first quilt I made was using the friendship star pattern and wasn't hard at all!
Old 07-26-2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyB
I will be teaching a beginning quilting class soon and I was wondering what quilt pattern you would suggest for new quilters.

I have been quilting 12 years and have some ideas for beginners, but I was wondering what ideas other quilters might have.

The class will be six weeks, meeting once a week, and cover all aspects of quilting, from fabric selection through binding and labels.

Thanks for your ideas!
Yellow Brick Road!! It is easy.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by SPAMANTI
Love the nine patch, split rail. I think I can do that. I will PM you for pattern if you don't mind. I am a widow and I work full time so I have to really work at finding time to quilt. I do love it.

Welcome to the board from South Lousiiana. You will enjoy your time here. If you go to Quilter's Cache you will find a wealth of free patterns in all difficulties. I'll bet one of the board members can even give you the link to click on to get to it. I'm not very savvy with the computer, but I know enough and I'm learning more everyday. The people here are so willing to help.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by GailG
Originally Posted by SPAMANTI

Welcome to the board from South Lousiiana. You will enjoy your time here. If you go to Quilter's Cache you will find a wealth of free patterns in all difficulties. I'll bet one of the board members can even give you the link to click on to get to it. I'm not very savvy with the computer, but I know enough and I'm learning more everyday. The people here are so willing to help.
It is:

www.quilterscache.com
Old 07-27-2010, 04:15 AM

Thank you, quiltingmimipj. I knew someone would jump in and help. BTW, I'm a "Mimi" too. My little GGS was here yesterday afternoon and he is finally saying my name. He has been calling his Toto (his GGF and my DH), but he also calls his pacifier his mimi. We don't know if there's an association there or not. :lol:
Old 08-03-2010, 10:56 AM

I am a beginner quilter and also wish to be in your class! LOL! My first quilt (self taught more by making mistakes than anything else) was a crazy 9 patch. Nothing had to patch up perfectly. The next pattern was disappearing 9 patch! Really loved that one. Each one was different! I moved on to a pin wheel and am now doing a strip quilt. It's a real trial by error learning experience for me! Best of luck to you and your class. Wish I knew short cuts, for cutting, sewing patches together, etc. Simple things that I'm sure have been perfected by someone.