Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quality of Keepsake Calico fabrics from Joann's >

Quality of Keepsake Calico fabrics from Joann's

Quality of Keepsake Calico fabrics from Joann's

Old 07-26-2010, 06:24 AM

I think she means the blankets moving companies put over furniture they are moving.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:16 AM

Depends what you are looking for. I personally don't like their fabrics. They are a cheaper grade.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:10 AM

P.P.S. - So, I didn't proofread well; that's "feel" the fabric - not "feek"! But you knew that - I hope.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
there are lots of fabrics printed and woven right here in the good ole' USA. i do try to purchase made in USA most of the time...with the exception of the bali batik's and fair trade goods. i would be cautious about fabrics printed in china and north korea since they seem to use lead so much, i would be afraid of the inks used. but also how well it will hold up in the long run, (walmart quality versus macy's quality) i put pretty much every thing from joannes a step below walmart these days...seems like if they do get in some decent fabrics they are more expensive than what you would pay at the local quilt shop if i'm going to pay $10 a yard for fabric it is definitly not coming from joannes.
Where do you find any fabric that is still be made here in the USA?

Thanks,
Old 07-26-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by quilt3311
If your unsure the fabric is "good quality" buy a quarter yard, take it home and rinse the sizing out. Press and see what happens. I've found some good quality fabric as well as some that has been not so good when washed, some that is really stiff and almost scratchy.
Great idea!! Thanks,
Old 07-26-2010, 08:45 AM

[quote=PiecesinMn]

My question, what is a good thread count for quilting? I don't know, but that's why there is the price/quality difference.[quote=Quiltgranny]Hi Everyone,

Here is one quote on the subject of fabric thread count:

http://ksulib.typepad.com/quilt/2008...-thread-c.html

Here's an excerpt from this page: (compliments of - The Quilter's Catalog: A Comprehensive Resource Guide by Meg Cox)

"...Many fabric companies in the quilt market use cotton that is 60 by 60 or 68 by 68, meaning that many threads per inch going both ways crosswise and lengthwise. P&B often chooses cotton that measures 75 by 75...
Old 07-26-2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Hi Everyone,

I would appreciate some feedback from any of you that have purchased any of Joann's Keepsake Calico fabrics. How is the quality compared to calicoes found elsewhere? Are they fine, or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks in advance,
ETA: I see some of them are made in China, some in South Korea, and some don't say at all. Does anyone know what difference these locations might mean to the quality?
Fabric made in China or S Korea does NOT mean it is of inferior quality - it ALL depends on the greige good quality, the manuf, the print runs and the finishing
Did you know that all MODA fabrics are made in S Korea ?? and so are other manuf.
There are VERY FEW fabrics still made in the US - the days of American textiles are long gone, unfortunately and will probably never return
Even the Connecting Threads fabrics "advertised" are made only with US GROWN Cotton - but they are manuf and printed overseas.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:04 AM

The quality of fabrics at JoAnn Fabrics is good, although there are better weight fabrics out there. All of the fabrics used to make the quilt in my profile pic came from JoAnn's, and they do hold up pretty well, and the colors and patterns are pretty rich. And, their fabrics tend not to bleed their colors after the first wash from my experience. I prefer the quilt shops because they often carry better weight fabrics that are more unique and harder to find- each shop carries a different collection.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:07 AM

I would not recommend buying Joann's Keepsake Calico on-line. Some of it is very nice quality, but much of it is thin & see-through. I have quite a few lovely pieces in my stash. Except for a very few still on the cardboard inserts, I can't tell where it was made. As for the ones still on the cardboard, it says the fabric was made in S. Korea and one that is very nice that says CN (which I assume is China??).
Old 07-26-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
With JoAnn fabric, I need to touch it...and to read the label...if it is made in China I don't even need to read the label...I can usually tell by feel...
I'm not bashing China...but I make mostly baby things and I've been very cautious of items from there due to so many recalls.
Interesting note here. I just added to my original question, wondering if where it was made, made any difference? So far, I'm seeing some from China, some from South Korea and some don't specify a place at all. :shock: :?:
WHERE fabric is made does NOT make the difference ... it's HOW it is made
I don't think a lot of people are aware that MOST quilting fabrics today ARE made overseas - so we can't condemn all fabric made outside the US
Moda, the biggest quilting fabric maker, is made in S Korea
Fabric quality depends on the greige goods quality, the number of print runs, the processing and the finishing
JoAnn's also sells Alexander Henry, Windham/Baum, Fabric Traditions and other "quilt shop" brands. I've found many of these to be of the same quality as those at our LQS
On the other hand, JoAnn's has a lot of fabric that ISN'T great quality