Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Rhymer - Quilting Waits While We Renovate >

Rhymer - Quilting Waits While We Renovate

Rhymer - Quilting Waits While We Renovate

Old 07-25-2010, 10:00 AM

This, too, shall pass! We began our renovation and my new sewing retreat in 2008. Seems like we were in a mess for a very long time. It was finally finished in July of last year! Yeah!
My sewing room is 20X36 (720 sq) and I love it. Well worth the extra time to complete. I am so thrilled with all the work that we did. You will find it worth the wait....no, I didn't sew the whole time either and it is so delightful to be able to do it now.
Chin up, keep in touch on the board and the time will pass quickly enough.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:02 AM

I'm not remodeling but I am going to redo a extra bedroom for my quilting stuff. I have to refinish a bedroom set for another bedroom and get that organized and the closet organized for my clothes/stuff. I also want to put the laminate flooring in these two rooms so I am now sitting in one room and saying OMG!! It will get done!! I am sewing in my dining room now and maybe getting to comfortable doing this but one day in the near future I should be able to send a few pictures of my new room!! Also bought a Singer treadle machine a few months ago and trying to get that working.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:34 PM
Dee

Been there. Just hang in there.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:47 PM

I feel your pain!
Old 07-26-2010, 08:12 AM

Hang in there, it WILL all be worth it !!
In the meantime, take a break whenever you can and do some hand piecing, applique, punchneedle etc ... just to keep your Sewing Soul happy !! Or go to a friend's house and sew -
We are "still" remodeling our home - no addition, just updates - but it's ALL stressful and tiring. My sewing time has really suffered lately - but I've done some wool applique and punchneedle to help keep my sanity !! :)
Old 07-26-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by katsewnsew
Do some hand piecing or make yo yo's! How about Grandmothers Flower garden blocks??? Just grab some scraps and get going while you watch the carpenters work!!! And if you are lucky, they are cute!
bah ha ha ha ha..this one made me laugh......oh how I wish, but it's my father in law!! (and my husband, who's cute...) but anyway I'm laughing. no hot contractors working w/ no shirts here....bummer!!!
Old 07-26-2010, 08:30 AM

thanks to everyone who gave advice, words of encouragement and ideas of what to do to keep me busy in the meantime!! I will try to take some of them into consideration and maybe find some time to work. the addition is a brand new kitchen, master bedroom and master bath. we currently have a 1000 sq foot home w/ 2 bedrooms and 1 bath. and we have 2 kids. so this was sorely needed. I have a sewing/office room finished in the basement, that room isn't going to get any bigger and I still have to share it but like I said it's full of stuff that needs to be out of the way for the addition. we are making great headway on the addition though, they are taping the walls this week and then hopefully we can paint and put flooring down in the upcoming weeks!!! it's going to be so nice to have so much more room and even nicer to be able to use my sewing room again. sigh........
Old 07-26-2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by smagruder
Hi, Make sure your machines are COVERED well!!!! Dust and sanding dust can ruin your machines. You will be happy with the finished product, right now, just keep looking at the end of the tunnel....a finsihed room.
thank you...I didn't even think of that. my machine is downstairs and totally out of the way of the dust but I will cover it just in case!!
Old 07-26-2010, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Kas
Originally Posted by kristen0112
Take your machine out, your tools, fabrics and thread put them in the car and drive away! Just kidding, it can't be fun having all that mess in your house. Anyway you could set your machine outside on a nice patio? How about going to the LQS? My LQS has a project night you could get a 'fix' there. Hang in there
Do get your machine out of the house or put it in a plastic bag that is tied shut! We did a remodel of the same size and I still have drywall dust two years later! We moved into a townhouse while the work was being done since we had to cut power to the house for two months. I took my machine with me, but when we moved back in, I set it up with a quilted cover over it. A month later when I went to finally sew, the thing was covered in gritty dust! It had seeped through the cover. I freaked out and took it to my dealer to be cleaned before I even thought about sewing. Then I left it in the sealed bag they put it into. I want to shoot my husband when he says he wants to expand the kitche six feet. No way. I will live with a small kitchen before I go through that again! But I do so love my new bathroom!
OMG your bathroom is AMAZING! our vanity looks SO similar to yours, same color granite top. ours is not nearly as big, but I will have an air tub (that also will have a shower, it's not a garden style like yours) but I'm so looking forward to that first bath in the air jetted tub! :) we are living in the house while the remodel is going on. we haven't had to loose power for more than a day or so here and there and we even added a new sub box for power. my FIL is a contractor and is doing all of this. it's messy but we couldn't afford to live elsewhere while it's going on. we are doing OK so far.....LOL
Old 07-26-2010, 02:47 PM

That's why I also have hand applique and quilting going at the same time I'm doing machine work. No down times for me!