Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quality of Keepsake Calico fabrics from Joann's >

Quality of Keepsake Calico fabrics from Joann's

Quality of Keepsake Calico fabrics from Joann's

Old 07-26-2010, 02:12 PM

Thanks for the link. Very interesting.[quote=Quiltgranny][quote=PiecesinMn]

My question, what is a good thread count for quilting? I don't know, but that's why there is the price/quality difference.
Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Hi Everyone,

Here is one quote on the subject of fabric thread count:

http://ksulib.typepad.com/quilt/2008...-thread-c.html

Here's an excerpt from this page: (compliments of - The Quilter's Catalog: A Comprehensive Resource Guide by Meg Cox)

"...Many fabric companies in the quilt market use cotton that is 60 by 60 or 68 by 68, meaning that many threads per inch going both ways crosswise and lengthwise. P&B often chooses cotton that measures 75 by 75...
Old 07-26-2010, 02:39 PM

Try fabric.com. They carry the better lines of quilting cotton for great prices.....free shipping for orders of $35 +.

Keepsake is not JoAnn's top of the line quilt fabric.
You also have to pay shipping unless they are having a special.

Diana in TX
Old 07-26-2010, 02:41 PM

[quote=PiecesinMn]Thanks for the link. Very interesting.[quote=Quiltgranny]
Originally Posted by PiecesinMn

My question, what is a good thread count for quilting? I don't know, but that's why there is the price/quality difference.
Hi Everyone,

Here is one quote on the subject of fabric thread count:

http://ksulib.typepad.com/quilt/2008...-thread-c.html

Here's an excerpt from this page: (compliments of - The Quilter's Catalog: A Comprehensive Resource Guide by Meg Cox)

"...Many fabric companies in the quilt market use cotton that is 60 by 60 or 68 by 68, meaning that many threads per inch going both ways crosswise and lengthwise. P&B often chooses cotton that measures 75 by 75...
Your very welcome. There's so much to learn...
Old 07-26-2010, 03:38 PM

Hi Everyone,

I would appreciate some feedback from any of you that have purchased any of Joann's Keepsake Calico fabrics. How is the quality compared to calicoes found elsewhere? Are they fine, or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks in advance,

ETA: I see some of them are made in China, some in South Korea, and some don't say at all. Does anyone know what difference these locations might mean to the quality?
I buy most of my fabric from JoAnn's the next closer fabric store is 100 miles away so I either buy there or online
Old 07-26-2010, 03:38 PM

I have used fabric from Joann's for years and for all kinds of things, purses,tote bags, and of course quilts. I think you have to get the best fabric you can for the money. I also have used a lot of nice fabric from Wal mart. Joann's now has a lot of top quality fabric from different disigners. I look at this way if i don't want to use in the front of the quilt if it is really something i like i will use it for the backing of a quilt. To sum up I would say if you like the color the feel and the price go ahead and use it. Have fun is the main thing..
Old 07-26-2010, 03:57 PM

Hi Everyone,

I would appreciate some feedback from any of you that have purchased any of Joann's Keepsake Calico fabrics. How is the quality compared to calicoes found elsewhere? Are they fine, or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks in advance,

ETA: I see some of them are made in China, some in South Korea, and some don't say at all. Does anyone know what difference these locations might mean to the quality?
This will be a LONG discussion thread.....I have heard most experts say to buy the very best quality fabrics you can afford. Unfortunately, my experience has been that Joann's does not carry quality quilting cottons at a reasonable price. I can get far better quality at my LQS than the inflated price that Joann's charges on their "best" fabrics....I have had great luch with Some of the web shops, but I just do not buy quilt fabric at Joann's any longer.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Shorebird
This will be a LONG discussion thread.....I have heard most experts say to buy the very best quality fabrics you can afford. Unfortunately, my experience has been that Joann's does not carry quality quilting cottons at a reasonable price. I can get far better quality at my LQS than the inflated price that Joann's charges on their "best" fabrics....I have had great luch with Some of the web shops, but I just do not buy quilt fabric at Joann's any longer.
Would you mind sharing with us some of the online shops that you've found that have great products AND great prices?

Thanks so much,
Old 07-26-2010, 04:22 PM

Most has been good, but I have gotten a couple that ravel real easy.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:54 PM

The last Moda jelly roll I used was from Korea.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:35 PM

When I was out of town a few weeks ago, I went to a very nice fabric shop. I was shocked to find out that a lot of that expensive fabric came from Korea!