Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need ideas for fabric challenge >

Need ideas for fabric challenge

Need ideas for fabric challenge

Old 07-26-2010, 04:00 PM

How about an ugly fabric challenge? Those can be really fun. Get with your LQS and get however many yards of fabric you think you'll need and cut it into fat quarters. Put the fat quarters in paper bags so nobody can see it before hand and then hand them out to the challenge takers. You can add rules like having to use at least half of the fat quarter and it must be visible on the front and not just binding.

(The key to buying a truely ugly fabric is the LQS has had it on sale for more than a month at $3 or less a yard and there's still half a bolt. LOL)
Old 07-26-2010, 04:07 PM

i love this idea because ugly fabric is easy to find and this is a very novel way of using it together with other like-minds. who anyway dont see any issue in cutting up perfectly good fabric, just to sew it back together again! :lol:
[email protected]
sew-materialistic.com
Old 07-26-2010, 04:31 PM

We recently did the ugly fabric challenge so it's a little too soon to repeat it. We also did a crayon challenge, put 3 random crayons in a paper bag and had to make something using those colors. Thanks for all the great suggestions, I greatly appreciate all your help.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:41 PM

tote challenge or an UFO pass along....take a UFO and pass on to another to finish. Of course all the "parts/pieces" need to be there. Limit to a small wall hanging or a table runner
Old 07-26-2010, 08:58 PM

My guild did a "Brown Bag Challenge" & it was a lot of fun. Each participant had to bring a brown bag with several fat quarters and any trim you like - beads, buttons, rick-rack, etc. We also had a paper to fill out, describing our favorite picnic spot. The guild added one more fat quarter, then numbered the bags & handed them back out, making sure no one got their own bag back again. I think we could add one or two fabrics, then we had a month (or maybe 2 monts) to make a small quilt that represented the picnic spot described in the bag we got. The finished quilt & any left overs were brought to the next meeting & given back to the original person.

I put that my favorite picnic spot would be in a tropical paradise. Here's a link to the quilt I got back: http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltzy...7602656723586/
Lucky me!!! :D
Old 07-31-2010, 01:48 PM

We did the same thing. but we used a gallon zip lock bag. The first year you had to make wall hangings, second year what ever you made had to have a 3-d part to it. the third year it was landscape, 4th year something for the kitchen and etc. We could only add a fat quarter of our own fabric to what ever we was making. It was alot of fun seeing what everyone made.