Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
weight loss challenge with a prize.....July sign >

weight loss challenge with a prize.....July sign

weight loss challenge with a prize.....July sign

Old 07-26-2010, 10:35 PM

I know, it means a lot.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
I have been excercising everyday. Tonight another 11 miles on the bike. It seems like I should be losing a lot more weight than I have. The positives are I am stronger than when I started and my endurance is up. Another positive benefit of excercise is my nails have gotten stronger. They are no longer brittle and breaking all the time.

I just don't get this weight loss "thing" at times. My friend is eating hot dogs and has lost seven pounds in two weeks, I eat fruit, beans, vegetables, salads (no or little dressing) excercise daily and only lost about that much in a month. Go figure.

As Quilthappygail stated, we are looking for a "forever way to eat." Plus, I hate hotdogs anyway! :hunf:
Carol: If she is eating all those hot dogs, she can deal with the consequences...high cholestoral, too much salt, fat and preservatives.

Don't compare yourself with anyone else. You are losing. I bet if you measure you will see you have lots inches. If you are steadily losing, feel good, are generally and feel in control, you are doing just fine. Muscle weighs more than fat. It is a fact. But muscle doesn't take up as much space as fat. And muscles burn calories much faster than fat. So you do need to encourage muscle growth.

You are doing a lot of cardio exercise by walking and riding. Good for you. You might want to think about doing some weight training for one of the exercise sessions you have. You won't need a gym to get started. You can use soup cans to provide some weights. Look up some simple strength training exercises.

Just a thought.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by LAQUITA
OH Can I start with the August weigh in challenge?
Let me know okay?;
Thanks,
LaQuita
Absolutely. Trupeach1 will get the signup going one day this week. Just watch for it. Or you can send a pm to Trupeach1 and tell her you want to be part of the August challenge.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Leota
I figure I will be too. But the fact that we have a support group and daily/hourly encouragement here...
I am so glad to have stopped back in her before hitting the bed...falling asleep at the key board...but it was a wonderful quilt guild meeting...and the guest speaker really turned on some light bulbs in my noodle. Bought her book, I want to try it so bad...

I am so happy for you...7 pounds AND COUNTING.
And so glad to hear all your cheer leaders ...

Rah, Rah, Lets loose more... :-)
I can't dance much any more...but see my wheel chair doing wheelies?
Old 07-26-2010, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by LAQUITA
OH Can I start with the August weigh in challenge?
Let me know okay?;
Thanks,
LaQuita
LaQuita dear...August is almost upon us...so prepare now, clear out all the junk food and snackies...stock your pantry, cupboards, purse and fridge with the foods you need...search for a good group to do some exercises with...group to keep you honest and regular helps...
and don't wait until August 1st to begin...

There is no time like the present...and what a present if you win!
Everyone will be sending you a FQ!

And don't forget to get your beginning weight and as a side suggestion, also you measurements. Often if we are exercising, our weight stays the same, because muscle weighs more than fat...but fat is bulkier. So measuring can show that you really are making progress even when the scales are LYING...trying to discourage you, and make you feel like all that effort is NOT paying off.

Keep some kind of journal and make notes...when you eat the wrong stuff, write about your day, your emotions and WHY.

And when you do the right stuff, journal about that day as well...and how you feel, and WHY.

So glad you are choosing to join us. No time to "waist"...he he he
Old 07-26-2010, 11:48 PM

Grandma12: That is the best run down of all that needs doing I have seen. I'm taking your suggestion about the journal. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks
Old 07-27-2010, 05:29 AM

Grandma just want to say thank you again for the great squishy...you are so thoughtful and it just keeps me aware. Aware that I have to keep an eye on the food gremlin at all times.

Love
Old 07-27-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
I have been exercising everyday. Tonight another 11 miles on the bike. It seems like I should be losing a lot more weight than I have. The positives are I am stronger than when I started and my endurance is up. Another positive benefit of exercise is my nails have gotten stronger. They are no longer brittle and breaking all the time.

I just don't get this weight loss "thing" at times. My friend is eating hot dogs and has lost seven pounds in two weeks, I eat fruit, beans, vegetables, salads (no or little dressing) exercise daily and only lost about that much in a month. Go figure.

As Quilthappygail stated, we are looking for a "forever way to eat." Plus, I hate hot dogs anyway! :hunf:

Grandma 12 says:
I so agree with what Gwyn said...scroll up to her comment...

So for the sake of everyone...lets do a little eye ball test.

I want you to look at the size of a 16 ounce boneless steak when you are at the grocery store. Won't really matter which cut, as long as it is boneless and very lean.

Put it in your shopping cart even if you are NOT going to buy it...
next stop....the butter and milk isle. You are going to look for the box of real cow's butter...and find 16 ounces of that...

Now put the two items right next to each other. Compare size.

Interesting twist to this for our brains...fat is cheap and muscle is expensive...so when you increase your muscle mass and reduce your fat %, you are increasing your own net worth.

Doubt the human truth to that statement? Let us check the theory out...

Watch some of the women in the area...some lean women who move like grace itself...they work out, and it shows...they dress themselves better, and the men...they turn their heads just to watch them walking away... high on the rating chart...right?

side note:{{{For this next part, no self demeaning thoughts or images...this is supposed to be a non-emotional comparison. Not something that leaves you feeling Yucky, crying and feeling worth less...remember that Grandma loves you...but I also know how I was looked at, remember comments that people made when I was out of my house and in the public eye...especially if I went to the beach with my family....so just think positive and do the other half of this mental exercise...}}}

Now look at a woman who weighs in at 200-300 as she walks... How is she dressed? Is she poetry in motion? Are men turning their heads?

We should love and care for each other from the inside out...but our eyes only see the package, not the contents. So when I see some lady in the same big boat as I am...I go out of my way to take the time to give her a compliment...what lovely eyes she has, something pretty I notice...she may be in desperate need of a compliment. And I smile...a gift we bestow upon one another.
Secretly I say a prayer for her as well. But that is beside the point, right?

My doctor ordered me to have physical therapy. So this home health care system started sending this guy out to help me exercise and get some muscle back. I ended up firing him...he never wanted to push...he never listened when I told him to bring me copies of what he wanted me to do so I could remember what & how to, in between work out sessions. And when I told him I wanted to work on XYZ set of muscles, he would just grin and say you can't do that...so out he went.

I went through 3 more non-believer slugs for PT"s before they finally took me seriously and sent me someone who was going to give me a work out, help me strengthen & build back up my muscles...who brought me copies...who cared almost as much as I did. The home care health place labeled me " hard to deal with" and after only 8 sessions with the right PT for me, I was "discharged"...no more PT. But I do have those copies, and eventually will start shopping for a book ...a whole book, of exercises. I am not up to a work out video...have several of those.

The thing is this...even at rest, like when you are laying still sleeping or watching a show...muscle takes calories to maintain. It has needs!

Like a fancy lady...who wants to dress well, have her nails done weekly, go to the beauty salon for a hair job...some fancy "*BLING*" to adorn her body...etc.

My husband brought me home something I have been needing..."Big Red" cinnamon chewing gum...I can chew it for a long time...and that hot cinnamon flavor takes away my cravings...and gives my mouth something to focus on, while I chew my way out of a craving.

So if you were all here to visit Grandma...rather than fattening cookies, I would share a stick of my gum with everyone...and feel like a loving, happy to see you Grandma.

We often think of the legacy we will be leaving our children, grands and beyond. We make these beautiful quilts, and other hand crafted goods, sweaters if we knit, table cloths, and all manor of finely crafted heirloom items....

But what of the legacy we leave them called "eating habits"?
They really do take their life lessons from us.

How many times have you heard other people talk about treasured recipes from Mom's kitchen, or Grandma's kitchen...etc. ???

As a genealogy & history student at college...I pulled out the family photos...and do you know what I saw? My ancestors were all normal size, attractive, young women who became overweight when they started having children, and obese in their post child bearing years. What a legacy to have been handed.

I am still wearing the exact same cloths...and I have lost over 40 pounds. But what I could not wear before...is a special "family tree" necklace...created especially and specifically for me. Real gold, as I am allergic to nickle, real gems to represent my husband, and our children. At first, when my daughter put the necklace on me...over a month ago, it was almost a choker...but now it hangs loose and lovely as it should. My stomach still sits on my lap...but my neck is showing my progress. :-)

I think that was enough for now...bet you do too!
So lets hear more happy chatter...the end of the month is upon us, and we have each progressed...we have struggled to overcome our bad habits...and even if they still plague us, we are getting there...we have added some healthy choices...admitted some ugly things rather than hiding them in the closet where they can multiply, get stronger and be joined by other uglies in the closet...and we are ALL feeling the love, even if we have not lost so much weight we are going to get the fabric stash.

Not just one winner in this room....

Smile...you know this Grandma loves you.
Anyone want me to send them a pkg...Bob Barker said "come on down...."

What's behind door #3? Ask me and see....
Vovoa got her squishy in the mail....
Old 07-27-2010, 08:46 AM

Thank you Grandma I needed to be reminded.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:35 AM

If I could put all of my best advice together with Grandma, I would be a truly happy lady. But...reality is I am a work in process...ever growing, ever changing,...and here is the real kicker...

SO ARE YOU.

We are all on this road together, tied to a vision of health and well-being. Some have been baffoodled by a media blitz of perfection. A woman is beautiful because of her actions, her demeanor, her diligence, and her love. She works hard, she plays hard, she manages her resources, and her time wisely. Her love for each and every person she comes into contact with, seeps through her pores. She touches people in a way to bring them joy and love. She keeps the main thing, the main thing.

I can do that. I can be that woman, I am becoming that woman. 'no body is perfect', but this is a goal, a place to strive for. So smile,...hold your head high, you are the best you, you can be, today.