Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quality of Keepsake Calico fabrics from Joann's >

Quality of Keepsake Calico fabrics from Joann's

Quality of Keepsake Calico fabrics from Joann's

Old 07-26-2010, 05:38 PM

Lots of valid opinions...
What I try to keep in mind is that if I don't shop local, there will be no local sources. Haven't shopped a lot online, and I'm sure some very reputable suppliers. But would hate to end up getting them from someones shed collection, who purchased bootleg. :)
Happy Quilting
Old 07-26-2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by C.Cal Quilt Girl
Lots of valid opinions...
What I try to keep in mind is that if I don't shop local, there will be no local sources. Haven't shopped a lot online, and I'm sure some very reputable suppliers. But would hate to end up getting them from someones shed collection, who purchased bootleg. :)
Happy Quilting
You have a valid point about shopping local, but unfortunately, being on a very tight fixed income I usually don't have that option. I will buy when our local shop has sales if I can; even then, it's usually only marked down to $6 a yard.

I was chatting with the Manager of our local shop the other day. When I asked her how business was doing, she said it was pretty good from the tourists, but she was seeing less buying from us locals. She knows it's the economy, as the regulars are still buying, but only in smaller amounts.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

I need to touch it and crinkle it in my hand to see how wrinkely it will get. I must say I never really had any trouble with Joanns' fabrics.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:21 PM

It's good she's hanging in there, lots aren't able to anymore in many industries. All will get better with time!
Best of Luck to you and LQS !! :)
Old 07-26-2010, 09:24 PM

Don't but from Cina.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by auntiehenno
Don't but from Cina.
O.K. I won't

:lol: ;)
Old 07-26-2010, 11:53 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Would you mind sharing with us some of the online shops that you've found that have great products AND great prices?

Thanks so much,
i found this notice this morning in Links & Resources. i liked many of the things i saw on sale, so hope you find something, too. the sale ends at midnight 27 July 2010.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-56440-1.htm

the next link is to one of my favorite sites. they haven't added much Red Rooster to their inventory in a while. they seem to be moving toward P&B Textiles (which are good values) and relying heavily on the General Fabrics (some are values, some are not).

http://stores.ebay.com/CROWSNESTQUIL...Q_scZ1QQ_sopZ1

i've purchased from them often and have always been satisfied. i wouldn't recommend the Shilhoutte prints. it's very odd. they don't seem to print all of the colors onto the same material. buying those is a bit of a gamble. they're all very pretty, but they occassionally print onto a wierd material i don't enjoy working with. the Quiltables also come printed on a variety of materials. some i like very much, some are only ok. however, they are all worth at least the price and usually compare nicely to fabs that cost much more elsewhere.

i have other favorite sites, but don't know your personal price limits. Crowsnest sells nearly everything for $2.99 per yard plus shipping. HUGE selection in that price range. the P&B sells for $3.49 and up +S. i've recently seen a few fabrics there for more than $4 p/y, but so far have never seen a price as high as $5 p/y.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
With JoAnn fabric, I need to touch it...and to read the label...if it is made in China I don't even need to read the label...I can usually tell by feel...
I'm not bashing China...but I make mostly baby things and I've been very cautious of items from there due to so many recalls.
I try not to buy products (fabric included) from China. Our country will never recover from this economic slump if we keep buying foreign products. What does China buy from us? We keep their economy going and they send us 'junk'.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jude
P.P.S. - So, I didn't proofread well; that's "feel" the fabric - not "feek"! But you knew that - I hope.
Couldn't resist tweaking your nose a bit. I still prefer "feeking" the fabric. :lol: It makes me smile & I've really needed that lately so thank you!
Old 07-27-2010, 06:37 AM

no fabrics are made here anymore. don't bother looking.

joanns has contracts with some famous mills. they weave to the quality that joanns is willing to pay for. in some cases, that's not great. kona is a good example. many people don't notice.

if you hold say, timeless treasures from joanns and from a LQS next to each other, you can see the difference. the LQS fabric is heavier and will hold up better.
the bias will be easier to work with, because the threads are closer. that's why it costs more. they're a little shop and can't afford contracts with giant mills. they have to buy at wholesale rates and can't afford to pass on huge savings. on the other hand, they pay more to get better.

joanns pay less for inferior goods and sells that to you, sometimes at the same price, sometimes for very little difference in price.

in the end, you buy what you can afford. sometimes that translates to online shopping especially when the sales bring the prices down to $2.99 and $3.99 and no shipping after, say $35.00 or even better, not at all.

everyone here has a favorite site online. i follow patrice's lead. she knows where the bargains are.