Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-27-2010, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Wine Woman. That machine is like the White that I purchased, only mine was on a treadle cabinet. So you can use it either way, electric or PP. The way mine is set up, the extra round outlet on the back is for the light. On the underneath side there was a plug in that you plugged the line from the underside of the motor plug in. It had a standard extension cord from that to bring the electricity to the machine.

It is the first time that I have seen a "pull" reostate for the control from the knee lever as you show on your cabinet. Mine is the same. I think they had to put it on the left side due to the treadle belt on the right.

Boy that is not very clear. I will try and take some pictures tonight of the underside wiring. I plan on treadling mine.
I sure would like to see yours if you would post pics. I just love the different things on it. The tension dial especially! I sure would like to hear it working!
Old 07-27-2010, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
Anna

I have got red-eye envy! Your machine is beautiful and the cabinet is so nice great condition ..WOW! I guess I need to move to the west coast.....
It originally came from back East according to the seller, a retired antique dealer. He told us that years ago he would get containers full of them from the East coast and this was one of the better cabinets and machines he got but that right now he can not sell them. This machine appeared not to be used much but at the same time was not cared for. He had it standing outside by his mobile home on the porch under piles of other antiques. Any little scratches, rust or damage seem to be mostly from neglect then from wear. My husband did fix two of the wheels and made bolts to anchor those replacement wheels in, replaced the hand wheel and fixed a drawer. What you can not see on the picture, fortunately, is that they apparently sprayed the cabinet with a cheap spray can varnish but we noticed it right aways because DH is a carpenter and also makes /restores furniture. If you wait and check CL long enough something might show up. I did pay more because the guy knew I wanted that model in that cabinet. Also we bought another well used head Red Eye 66 that we took some parts of to fix up the head in the cabinet. I hope you find a red eye too if that is what you have your mind set on.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:45 AM
Banned

There were millions of the Red Eyes made so you can find them really easily here in the States. They were never offered in the UK or AU.

Billy
Old 07-27-2010, 12:48 PM

Wine Woman. That machine is like the White that I purchased, only mine was on a treadle cabinet. So you can use it either way, electric or PP. The way mine is set up, the extra round outlet on the back is for the light. On the underneath side there was a plug in that you plugged the line from the underside of the motor plug in. It had a standard extension cord from that to bring the electricity to the machine.
Boy that is not very clear. I will try and take some pictures tonight of the underside wiring. I plan on treadling mine.
Oh, I don't know what I have. I thought I did. But the one I was thinking is the domestic. The reostate is connected to the treadle foot pedal. But the plug ins at the back of the machine are the same. Sorry not more help.
Do you have the cord for your machine?
Old 07-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

Well my Singer 301 in cabinet is home. She doesn't work and will need some work on both the cabinet and machine/electrical etc. but I am in awe for now. The cabinet is an adorable little desk. This is like a bigger/full size Feather Weight, I have been told. It can easily snap loose and come out of the desk to take along. It even has a cute little handle that I popped up for the picture. I have no case for it though.

I started looking for a 301 when I heard they made great quilting machines because of the direct gear drive, slanted needle and all metal parts. I hope we can fix it and get it running.

We found this machine on CL and the person was willing to take a lower offer. It was out of the area but a business friend from DH took it down for us on his truck when he came to this area.

I can't wait to play with it when it is running!

Here she is! Three drawers and a bin area. There is a foot pedal attached to the cabinet inside right bottom of picture.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69902[/ATTACH]

With the machine all tucked away inside there is an adorable little functional desk left. Bar hanging off side needs to be fixed and will then fold in and hold the lid straight when open.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]70006[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-69897.jpe
Views:	141
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	69902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-69900.jpe
Views:	393
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	69905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-70001.jpe
Views:	141
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	70006  
Old 07-27-2010, 01:07 PM

Annaquilts, She sure is a beauty. That is one nice cabinet. What is wrong with her that she won't sew? I see that it is threaded wrong, Could that be the problem?
Old 07-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

I am not sure yet. DH was here with his friend, who brought it down South on the truck, dropping it off at the house at 7 am. At first we could not find the little bobbin part that snaps into the bobbin area but we did but neither DH or I could get it to snap in. I have never worked on a 301 so it could be as simple as wrong threading and wrong bobbin installation. The wiring looks scarey! After the pictures DH took it to his "shop" AKA garage. I am sure he'll play with it tonight to see what is going on. I am very hopeful and else might need to look for a parts machine or to buy something from some one. The lady said it works but the bobbin thread is not coming up. Looking at the electric, I am kind of scared to plug it in. LOL
Old 07-27-2010, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by oldhag
Annaquilts, She sure is a beauty. That is one nice cabinet. What is wrong with her that she won't sew? I see that it is threaded wrong, Could that be the problem?
Gosh you were really observent on the threading. I went back and looked and I can see that it is threaded wrong also. I have a 301 just like it only not in a cabinet. I too heard they are good for FMQ because the feed dogs drop. Happy Sewing.

:-D
Old 07-27-2010, 01:31 PM

Annaquilts, I love the cabinet your red eye is in. We looked at a cabinet like yours today but it had a Singer 27 with the pheasant decal. We are hopeing the lady will part with it. Lady told DH she would leave it to him in her will. But gave him a white Martha Washington that belonged to her grandmother and mother before her and she is in her eighties. DH is parshal to the red eyes so it won't be long until he finds one. :?
Old 07-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Annaquilts, I love the cabinet your red eye is in. We looked at a cabinet like yours today but it had a Singer 27 with the pheasant decal. We are hopeing the lady will part with it. Lady told DH she would leave it to him in her will. But gave him a white Martha Washington that belonged to her grandmother and mother before her and she is in her eighties. DH is parshal to the red eyes so it won't be long until he finds one. :?
Wow sounds like you had a wonderful day too. I have never seen the pheasant one besides online. It must be rare. What is a Martha Washington? Could you post a picture? It sounds very old. Happy hunting for the red eye. Just one day I clicked on CL and there she was just listed. I did pay more but DH felt since it was pretty much how I wanted it, both machine and cabinet, I should get it. No regrets.