Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
AAARRRGGGGGG!!!!! >

AAARRRGGGGGG!!!!!

AAARRRGGGGGG!!!!!

Old 07-27-2010, 07:16 PM

I did my binding with machine stitching on and then fold over and very close ladder hand stitching. No rejection. Just make sure it is strong and tight. Is there a way to know that your quilt has been "adopted" by a patient?
Old 07-28-2010, 04:50 AM

I used my regular binding on both of mine.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
RELAX! That type of binding is just a recommendation. Bind it your way you just have to machine sew the binding on. They don't like hand sewing because they think it is not strong enough. Lots of people use decorative stitching to sew the binding on. Have fun with it! :-)
Ditto:):)
Old 07-28-2010, 05:48 AM

It's supposed to be fun ;)>>
Old 07-28-2010, 06:16 AM

(How on earth do you do this type of binding without cutting the stupid backing fabric????
I have made so many quilts but have always used a separate binding which I would sew on the front and hand sew on the backing.
All I have to do is relax for one second and I mess the whole thing up!!!!!! This is so frustrating!!!)

I either fold the back to the back or I slide a ruler over the backing so that I can't cut through.
Then after the top and batting are trimmed, I measure 1 inch and trim the backing.

Fold in half, press and then fold over to the front.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:21 AM

I have never liked the look of this type of binding so never tried it..Much easier to do regular binding . I sew mine on the back now and bring to front and machine sew.. easy peasy :)
Old 07-28-2010, 07:55 AM

Okay, take a deep breath and exhale slowly. Go eat chocolate. Have a nice cup of coffee/tea, or a cold drink. Put your feet up for 30 minutes and stroke cat. Listen to soothing music.

NOW you can return to that blasted quilt and not be angry enough to throw it at the garbage man. Repeat after me...as Zaza Gabor said "i've never hated a man enough to give his diamonds back to
him." So you should never be mad enough to hack up a lovely quilt or to hide it in the closet for the next 10 years. Remember, any quilt made well is welcome to those who don't have any, no matter what color, pattern or fabric.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mona Marie
I use the birthing method....NO binding needed
What is the birthing method???? I have not heard of that one before... lol
Old 07-28-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Okay, take a deep breath and exhale slowly. Go eat chocolate. Have a nice cup of coffee/tea, or a cold drink. Put your feet up for 30 minutes and stroke cat. Listen to soothing music.

NOW you can return to that blasted quilt and not be angry enough to throw it at the garbage man. Repeat after me...as Zaza Gabor said "i've never hated a man enough to give his diamonds back to
him." So you should never be mad enough to hack up a lovely quilt or to hide it in the closet for the next 10 years. Remember, any quilt made well is welcome to those who don't have any, no matter what color, pattern or fabric.
AMen :):)
Old 07-28-2010, 08:07 AM

The no-bind method is commonly called "birthing" a quilt. This is a quick method used to finish smaller quilts. In this method, the quilt is "finished" before it is quilted. When layering the quilt, instead of placing the top right side up, you place the top right side down, so that it is facing the batting. You also place the backing so that it is facing the batting. You then sew 1/4" around the perimeter of the quilt, beginning at the bottom. Be sure to leave an opening large enough for your hand to fit. It is important to note that you cannot use a fusible batting for this method!