Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-27-2010, 07:54 PM

Thanks Billy for the info on the stripping :XD: of my machine base.

Where do I get teh Epoxy paint and what brand?

WOW, that Red Eye is to die for. Gorgeous.

Found a Featherweight today. Was in fair shape. I got all excited until I looked at the price tag.
Are you ready for this-$550.00! Remember, I said it was in fair condition. I patted it and left her there.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wvdek
Thanks Billy for the info on the stripping :XD: of my machine base.

Where do I get teh Epoxy paint and what brand?

WOW, that Red Eye is to die for. Gorgeous.

Found a Featherweight today. Was in fair shape. I got all excited until I looked at the price tag.
Are you ready for this-$550.00! Remember, I said it was in fair condition. I patted it and left her there.
I got my epoxy paint at Home Depot and I will have to see what brand it was I want to say it was Krylon but not sure. They had only 2 or 3 colors, Black, White, Almond. It is advertised as paint for refrigerators I believe. I painted the steering wheel in my 51 Ford with it and it has been a daily driver for the last 8 years since it was done and never has even shown any signs of wear. I painted the treadle base in my studio with the stuff and it looks like it did the day I shot it!!

I will look at the can ad post a photo of it for you!!

Billy
Old 07-27-2010, 08:34 PM

Thank you Billy!
Old 07-27-2010, 08:45 PM

Annaquilts - I have a Red Eye in the same cabinet. She and the cabinet are beauties and look almost new - I will have to check the serial #. I got her at an auction about 29 yrs ago and she has been well taken care of ever since. She has a special place in our spare bedroom.

Brenda21 - Your machine is really cute!! What model is it?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:11 PM
Power Poster

Woohooo!!!! The Singer 301 is working. DH took it apart, followed directions,cleaned, oiled etc. and got it sewing. He also redid some of the electric wiring but it all needs to be redone. The cabinet will also need work. He plans to take the sewing machine out and put that for now in the studio while he works on the cabinet. This little machine looks really promising to me.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Power Poster

Gorgeous Brenda 21! Thanks for posting.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:02 AM

Billy, you were going to check to see what shuttle my Singer Sphinx took. I see some listed on ebay but am not sure which one I need. Thanks
Old 07-28-2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by costumegirl
Annaquilts - I have a Red Eye in the same cabinet. She and the cabinet are beauties and look almost new - I will have to check the serial #. I got her at an auction about 29 yrs ago and she has been well taken care of ever since. She has a special place in our spare bedroom.

Brenda21 - Your machine is really cute!! What model is it?
Thank you...she's a 128
Old 07-28-2010, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Katia
I have found a few sewing machines this weekend myself. There is a new thrift store down the road from me. I stopped in and told her to call me if any older sewing machines came in. And she did ! She called and said she had a very heavy little black sewing machine called a Commander, and that she had to have 15.00 for it. Hmmm, quick google search and I was on my way to pick her up. She is kinda plain, no super fancy decals. The Commander decal is wearing off in the front, but in good shape in the back. The paint is great, just a little dusty. The wires need to be replaced, they are kinda frayed. But she turns over very smoothly and the needle moves easily.

The second machine is the cutest Kenmore, in a green color, kind of Jetson-y looking. A model 158-16020. From what I can tell there is an identical model 158 that has a cam feature. Mine does not. The case is plastic and kinda grundgy, but the machine is pristine. I am hoping to try her out this afternoon. I think she was made in the 50's sometime.

The last machine is not an old one, but I think a good deal. I have been looking for a good machine for a co- worker of my husband. She needs a good beginner machine. I found a brand new Euro-Pro for only ten bucks. I think she will be thrilled. Not something I really need, but to be able to pass it on is fun. I will check it out and make sure it is sewing correctly before she gets it. It looks new and the accessories are still sealed in the bag, so it should be fine, but just to make sure. Nothing more frustrating then a machine that does not sew correctly. Especially for a new sewer.
Hi Katia, I also have a Kenmore with the cam feature. It is a model 158.16012. Not sure of color,.might be a very light green ?It is in a nice walnut cabinet but I have no cams, or other accessories. Will you be posting a picture? I cannot as I don't know how, sorry. Bye for now, Loraine
Old 07-28-2010, 09:42 AM

I love the look of the machine and was so hoping it would be good to sew on. But the stitch is just not right. I cleaned and oiled it and worked on it till I got frustrated. It runs great, but the foot feed has a hair trigger. And the feed dogs do not seem to push the fabric through like it should. I may take it in and have it serviced. This one does not have the cam feature. But that is fine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-69597.jpe
Views:	354
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	69602