Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
AAARRRGGGGGG!!!!! >

AAARRRGGGGGG!!!!!

AAARRRGGGGGG!!!!!

Old 07-28-2010, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by ksea
Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
A Downy quilt is one that is sponsored by Downy Fabric Softener. They send out requested kits to make quilts for hospitalized children. They ask that you also include one from your own stash to return with the kitted one. There is a link to request the kits, though I am at work and can't really take the time to find it right now!
I have sent in 3 already, though I binded them as I usually do except I machine sewed instead of hand sewed. I was just trying to do the other technique.
I hope to get this one done tonight, find where I put the label and get them out the door hopefully by Friday.
Thank you for the information, I think I will search for the link.
I just found the link and looked it up and we have a local chapter about 30 miles north of my home, I'm going to give them a call this evening to see if I can help out.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:57 PM

Really, seperate binding is better. it is double fold and will hold up lots longer. I have done several downy quilts this way. my nite quilt group did 18 and all were seperate bindings. They will be glad to get the quilts.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:35 PM

The trick to bringing the binding forward is to be sure the back is larger than a front. Here's an excellent tutorial, it's visual so you can print it out.

http://www.lorettaalvarado.com/binding.htm
Old 07-28-2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
I can understand your frustration. On the QFK quilt I did, the backing fabric just looked horrible against the material on the front of the quilt, so I went out and bought some that looked very nice and did a traditional binding.

Don't fret, I know they will be delighted to get those quilts!
Great of you to do this for those little ones.

I have trouble with that type of binding. I manage to cut binding from the backing and do it my own way. Have had no word from them that it is not acceptable.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:42 PM

Joining triangles???????? I know there must be a way to join up six or eight triangle points, but can someone tell me how? I am about to pitch these babies, if I cannot stitch them together. Pleeeeeeease help.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:21 PM

I have made 3 of these. One just got washed today should mail it tomorrow. I followed their advise on the binding because I had never done it that way. 1. I learned (from experience) in order to not quilt the backing into the quilt while quilting to fold it over part way and then saftey pinned it down. 2. quilt as desired but leave about 3/8-1/2 inch from the edge with out stitches. 3. I then trim up the batting because I left it just a little bit too big (old habits). 4. then I unpinned and cut the binding. 5. I did not like their idea because it is not a double fold and therefore is not as strong so I cut it so that I could tuck a little bit under the batting and then turned the folded edge over to the front and "pinned" it down with hair clips and machine sewed it down with what ever stitch I like best for that quilt.
I hope this all makes more sense than their directions. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:39 PM

Hm. I haven't had trouble with this, but I get the quilt all quilted, then cut the back an inch larger all around. Then I fold it twice and iron it, then just use a zig zag stitch. Maybe in your quest to make a perfect quilt you're making it more difficult than it needs to be? Don't worry about it. The quilt is for charity. Just making it is a precious gift.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I am trying so hard to get a couple of Downy quilts done and out the door.
They like the binding to be machine sewn and recommend using the backing to bring around and bind with.
I can't do this!!!!!
The first one, I was so careful when squaring up the quilt but ended cutting the binding part of the back on the last little cut. So I trimmed it all up, cut binding strips, adding more fabric from my stash and then sewed them on. I kept telling myself to sew it on the back first then turn to the front to sew down. Of course I attached it to the front, figured out I blew it after sewing about 15". I finished off as it was then pressed and turned toward the back, pinned the whole blasted thing and used a decorative stitch from the front to sew down. Looks fine but now how I wanted to do it.
Now, the second one, I was extremely careful squaring up the quilt and not cutting the back. I even taped the back away from the edges. I was just going back around to trim the backing to an inch larger than the rest, got to the last corner and trimmed it even with the quilt!!!!~! I am so mad at myself. I think I am going to try and do the backing/bind on 3/4 of the quilt and then just cut some binding strips for the top (which is the side I screwed up on))

How on earth do you do this type of binding without cutting the stupid backing fabric????
I have made so many quilts but have always used a separate binding which I would sew on the front and hand sew on the backing.
All I have to do is relax for one second and I mess the whole thing up!!!!!! This is so frustrating!!!!

I just finished my first "Quilt for Kids" quilt & I turned it inside out pillow case style. Took out the question of how to bind it.

I made a call to Karen (I think) of Quilts for Kids with questions about my buying my own batting & paying for shipping. She said that was my part of the donation. Hmmm

I told her I had discovered this charity from this group. She encouraged me to remind everybody about this worthy need for quilts. She said because of the increase in costs at every level, she's lost a lot of her sources for supplies & really needs everybody to continue making quilts that go to hospitals to sick kids.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:19 PM

Put you cutting mat between the batting and the fabric so you don't cut the fabric.

Read this somewhere and tried it. It works great. I also cut my fabric and it very annoying
Old 07-28-2010, 06:22 PM

you do the cutting VERY CAREFULLY