Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Something new >

Something new

Something new

Old 07-28-2010, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by mburdell
Originally Posted by quilter41
Have any of you seen the wooden mallets that they are selling to hit your joining points with. I saw them a a quilt show. No I didn't get sucked in. They were $10 and I thought DH might have a better idea. It seemed to work for the people demonstrating it, but I still was in doubt. DH said to go to Lowe's and buy a white rubber mallet and it would work for this purpose. I looked at Lowe's and they were out of them, but only $4.97.
Wasn't reading this very closely and I thought you were refering to pounding your body joints (knees, elbows, etc) ! LOL I have got to get some sleep!

Seriously, my family has called me 3 times in the last week in the middle of the night to go to the hospital. I think I'm getting slap happy. Definitely not getting any sewing done!
I thought the same thing the first time I read that post too. :lol: I decided that was one quilting tradition I didn't want to know about.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:25 PM

I USE A REGULAR HAMMER WHEN I HEM JEANS. THERE IS USUALLY A FLAT FELL SEAM THAT IS BULKY. I GIVE IT A COUPLE WHACKS AND THE NEEDLE GOES THRU SO MUCH EASIER AND DOES NOT BREAK LIKE IT WOULD BEFORE.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:36 PM

When I first saw this I was surprised then I realized that it makes sense. But if my DH ever saw that I was using a hammer on my quilting I think he would put me away for a nice quiet rest. So I will have to try it when he is not around. LOL
Old 07-28-2010, 07:03 PM

i saw those a few years ago i just do the twisty thing with my finger and it works everytime
Old 07-28-2010, 07:16 PM

I never could figure out where she clipped the seams.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:20 PM

I just have to jump in on this one. Katherine P, when I was doing alterations I would use a pair of pliers on the Jean hem to flatten the weld so it would be easier to sew. I think the pliers might work for the quilts too - no need to have something to hammer against. Amazing what tools you will find in the sewing room!
Old 07-28-2010, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Originally Posted by Deborah12687
Well this is a quilting board and talking about quilting not guns. If you want to beat your seams that is your choice. :roll:
i'm writing 1,000 times in cursive ...

"The moderator must behave. The moderator must behave. The moderator must not touch that line with a 10 foot pole. Because the moderator must behave."

:lol:
:mrgreen: You have a lot of patience. ;-)
Old 07-29-2010, 06:52 AM

Yes, pounding the seam will flatten it. Especially cotton. I learned this years ago when I had a decorating shop and it really did work on upholstery fabrics. Of course you can get carried away and distort the fabric so use discresion by checking it regularly while pounding. I keep a tack hammer in my sewing room.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:35 AM

Thanks for the tip about pounding the fat seams when hemming jeans. I have a lot of trouble getting my needle to go through that seam. I have a Jean-a-ma-jig and that helps some but I think pounding the seam will make my life easier.

I had a wooden clapper that I used many years ago when sewing clothes; but have no idea where it is today. Just might have to search for it.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:07 PM

In tailoring they don't use a mallet they use something called a clapper. And it works. If you have a particularly bumpy seam where you have a lot of joins, steam it and pound it or clap it and it will lay flatter. I have used it and it really does work.
Lucy