Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
joannes again >

joannes again

joannes again

Old 07-29-2010, 05:02 PM

I have to laugh a little bit here. When I was making all my daughters clothes and mine also, it seemed all I could find after awhile was quilting cottons! I do most of my fabric shopping at Hancocks, but now the store seems to be mostly fleese and more fleese, even in the summer! They have lots of quilting cottons, but I wasn't too impressed with the quality or variety I found last month. And now the store is full of home decorating things. Very little fabric selection for garments.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:12 PM

The things you've mentioned here are recurrent themes at my JoAnn's, too. I rarely visit there anymore. I just don't have 30 minutes to wait in line to have fabric cut, followed by another 20 minutes in line waiting to pay. I think they've lost a lot of loyal customers this way.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:37 PM

Cloth World was a seperate company that Joanne's bought out. I really miss Cloth World!!
Old 07-30-2010, 03:42 AM

Has anyone else noticed that their email coupons are for online purchases not in store? I use to be able to use both. Now I think since January I have had only 1 or 2 in store coupons in my email.
I don't order on line from Joann's because normally I can get cheaper prices from places like fabric.com and free shipping.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:19 AM

Did you all know that 2 yrs ago Joanns was bought out by Walmart hence the change in emphasis from sewing to "cfrafting" and less quality material. Also the reason for the use of less employees to do more work. Just FYI.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:28 AM

I am finding you really have to check to see what the width of each bolt is--see it down to 42" now so it can affect how much you need to buy for your patterns that call for 45". And yes, our new updated store is trying to get Hobby Lobby's craft business.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by tula
Did you all know that 2 yrs ago Joanns was bought out by Walmart hence the change in emphasis from sewing to "cfrafting" and less quality material. Also the reason for the use of less employees to do more work. Just FYI.
Joanne's is owned by WalMart??? I didn't know that.

:thumbdown:
Old 07-30-2010, 06:35 AM

What I know about JoAnn's.
Back in 1973 I became a store manager for a new opening store. JoAnn's was a family run store at that time.
The owner, the wifes name was Betty Zimmerman, used to sell flat goods. He progressed from one store to several, and then to JoAnn's.
It was a very much "hands on" for the owners. Customer satisfaction was there main concern.
When the Midland store opened I had 7 employees.
The lines started an hour before the store was to open. The parking lot, large, had cars circling for parking places.
My husband came in just to put fabric back in place.
We continued to stay this busy. So hectic.
Each clerk took care of the customer through the whole process, including payment. We sometimes had to stand in line for the cash register.
Main point of this story.
I answered a phone call concerning a flawed half-yard remnant a customer had purchased previously.
Well, I forgot she was holding on the phone until 2 hrs. later.
The next day I got a call from Mister Zimmerman. I was chewed up one side and down the other about customer service. This has stayed with me a lifetime and served me well. The customer is always right, even when they're wrong!
Old 07-30-2010, 06:36 AM

On a recent trip to Joanns I purchased the large 24 x 36 inch Fiskars self healing cutting mat for my daughter. I used my 40% off coupon and got it for about $28.00. After Joanns we went to WM and I was shocked to see the REGULAR price of the same mat was only about $28.00!
And another thing...after getting home and looking at the label on the mat (and in small print), I see a warning that states 'This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects and reproductive harm'. My daughter is only 31 and I was concerned about giving it to her. She took it though and said she wouldn't use it till I hear back from the email I sent to Fiskars.
Anyone else aware of this? Or am I the only one who didn't expect such a warning label (so didn't bother to look for one) on a cutting mat?
Old 07-30-2010, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by stitchhappy
Originally Posted by tula
Joanne's is owned by WalMart??? I didn't know that.

:thumbdown:
i'm fairly certain that's not true.