Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need your opinions-pricing Walker Bags >

Need your opinions-pricing Walker Bags

Need your opinions-pricing Walker Bags

Old 07-30-2010, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by thseabreze
I think $25.00 - $30.00 would be a good price for this. Those using a walker, would appreciate it alot more than we do, and for the price, I would pay up to $30.00 for someone I knew, that needed one.
I agree. They would probably be purchased as gifts and if you could possibly get the home to put one on display you could sell them to visiting family members. I'll bet there are plenty of well dressed residents with families who can afford some extras.

A lot depends on the part of the country and the financial status...but think how much people pay for Vera Bradley bags!
Old 07-30-2010, 07:19 AM

I usually look at items like this and know I could make them, mentally figure up cost of fabric and time, and then conclude that it wouldn't be worth my time to make it for the sales price. In this case, I'd be willing to pay $25 for it, it's really lovely. You could use lesser priced fabric and make a little more, but I don't know if you'd have the same response.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by JanetM
I am considering making some walker bags for sale and really could use your opinions about pricing them. My materials cost approximately $14-$15. I use only LQS fabrics. What would you be willing to pay for one? Don't worry..I won't make you buy one LOL

Please be honest and thank you. :wink:
Very Pretty and Great Idea!! $20-25????
Old 07-30-2010, 07:52 AM

My husband was on a walker for some years. I made him a
masculine walker bag from denim (found in yard sales, old
jeans) and it turned out well. I also put in a pocket with a
zipper AND a velcro attachment, since for some time he
loved to go to flea markets. And older people are far more
subject to theft of wallets, and have limited feeling in body
parts. So the zipper/velcro pocket had two LARGE inner
pockets for cash and change, with the bigger bills being
carried in the bottom of the change pocket. He never did
have any thefts.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:30 AM

I actually use a walker at times, and I had purchased an ugly black divided bag for I think $20.00. I would pay more for this because it is so pretty. So I think unless you aren't trying to make any money, you might want to buy lesser priced fabric. Was this your pattern? And do you have a pocket on the other side of the walker that didn't show in the picture.?
Old 07-30-2010, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by klgreene
I actually use a walker at times, and I had purchased an ugly black divided bag for I think $20.00. I would pay more for this because it is so pretty. So I think unless you aren't trying to make any money, you might want to buy lesser priced fabric. Was this your pattern? And do you have a pocket on the other side of the walker that didn't show in the picture.?
Yes, this is my original design and there is a pocket on the other side as well. :-D
Old 07-30-2010, 09:54 AM

REpeate: use a less costly fabric. They are lovely , but remember we "old farts" are usually on fixed income and really have to watch the $'s. Rule of thumb has been, in the past: double your cost and add at least 10% for time and labor. That is one reason it is getting harder to sell at craft shows. Cheap imports have gained the upper hand over fine , hand made products. Dollar Stores are the big winners...even among crafters. I am in the same boat with you...so far it has been a poor selling season...Hoping Christmas shows will be better. Best wishes....fmd in NH
Old 07-30-2010, 10:06 AM

I HAVE MADE BOTH OF THESE TYPES BAG AND HOLDERS FOR WALKER. I HAVE CHARGE 25 FOR EACH ITEM. I ALSO MAKE THEM OUT OF CHEAPER MATERIALS SUCH AS JOANNE AND WAL-MART. AND CHARGE 15. I FEEL YOU NEED TO DO BOTH HI END AND FICKS INCOME . HOPE THIS HELPS I LOVE BOTH OF THEM AND WOULD HAVE BROUGHT ONE AT THE 25 DOLLOR PRICE. HAVE FUN DOING WHAT YOU LOVE TO DO
Old 07-30-2010, 11:29 AM

If it is quilted you could try using the pre-quilted material when it is on sale. It would save you time. I made a pretty fancy one for a friend using a pattern off the internet - changed a part as I always do - and it took me 2 hours to make. At $8.00 an hour for my time that doesn't leave much for the fabric.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:45 AM

beautiful! $20/$25 ?