Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
paper templates  HELP!!!! >

paper templates HELP!!!!

paper templates HELP!!!!

Old 07-30-2010, 01:29 PM

our dollar tree has the flexable plastic cutting mats...you get two in the package...I use them all the time because I like to use a different one for chicken...I think I have 7 now and haven't use three of them, I needed some templates and was out of the ones I buy at the fabric store...well I started looking some card board ceral boxes that were about empty, Yep...I have throwed away good food just for a box.....saw the cutting mats and the light blub came on....works great if you spray a little sulky 2000 on the back side and it wipes off with soap and water...or an even cheaper way is use the double stick take in a couple of spots on the back....can be found at dollar tree in craft area most of the time....yep just love dollar tree.....
Old 07-30-2010, 02:09 PM

Instead of paper, I use a light table and muslin fabric- the cheapest kind i can find. Big chain store has it as a backing 108 wide,and it makes lots of templates.. One permanet Sharpie fine point also. My sister complains about it when she is quilting it, but so far she is the only one (she is the quilter of course).....
Old 07-30-2010, 02:15 PM

Try also pinning the fabric on the outside of the template, about 1/2" away. That way the fabric shouldn't shift when you are cutting. It works for me.

For template plastic try checking with a local school or maybe a library or printing business that has a laminating machine (the kind that does poster size sheets). The University where I live has one and throws away the "scrap" pieces of laminating plastic that they almost always have (there is usually a bit at the beginning and end of each 'job'). They let me have all I want. It is two layers of plastic, cuts easily with scissors, is clear, and is plenty stiff, and did I mention FREE.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:37 PM

Pin fabric to paper template and cut out on sandpaper board which stops fabric from shifting, use quarter inch ruler to mark seam allowance and cut out hexagons or whatever pieces you're using with ruler in place, which also adds pressure to fabric - paper template stays in until enough of pattern has been created apart from outer positions - I used to use large glossy calendar-type papers which insurance companies distributed to schools, excellent quality and firm paper, not card stock unless you have no alternative and then find light weight card for some flexibility
Old 07-30-2010, 03:46 PM

paper and cardboard templates can change shape with use, especially when using rotary cutters, so will need to be replaced now and then
Old 07-30-2010, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by lalaland
I'm always on the lookout for heavy duty plastic placemats, I make all my templates out of those. They are cheap and durable and last forever.
Bought some of those at our local dollar store. I also put 2 layers together for the bottoms of my bow ties purses.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:59 PM

I'm an "Old Dog" learning new tricks! I make small miniatures and wall-hangings and have learned that I can make a 'template'out of plain manilla folders. These templates are thin enough to pin onto my quilt blocks or borders. I then hand-quilt around them, leaving no mark whatsoever on the quilt--no chalk, purple or blue markers, not pencil-lines, etc. I just move the template along the border or in block quilting areas. Pretty clever, don't you think? LOL
Old 07-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

Freezer paper here too. You just have to pay attention whether you iron it to the front or the back side. Works like a charm.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:17 PM

I use freezer paper I love it. But I have also used old X-ray film.
When I go the the Dr's or the hospital they sometimes will give several pieces for free.
I have also used old cereal,or cracker boxes.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:23 PM

I go around town to places where they take x-rays and ask for any they may be getting rid of. You may even be able to get some used x-ray sheets from a vet's office. They make great templates.