Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
joannes again >

joannes again

joannes again

Old 07-30-2010, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
When the employees at our Joann seem less than enthusiastic, I usually engage them in conversation - and before you know it, it's a much "funner" experience for both of us. Sometimes it's the customers that cause their own bad situation: Last time Pat and I went, the cutter asked one grumpy old lady what she was planning to make and the woman literally barked at her to just cut the fabric and mind her own business. HARSH! and NASTY! Old bag!
Like the old grandpappy saying, "You catch more bees with sugar than with vinegar." She was definitely in a vinegar mood.I, too, think it's important to be nice to the sales/cutting/cashier help. They probably get barked at more than wagged at during a day.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:46 PM

I have two JoAnns to use, one is 15 minutes away the other 30. I go to the further one bacause of rudeness in the first store. sent email to corperate. she is still there. no surprise. The one In Bellingham is much bigger, cleaner and the ladies are super helpful when you have a question. The cutters are great too. And lots and lots of material along with the crafts.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by ClairVoyantQuilter
I wish the link you provided (thanks, by the way :) ) included more recent information as I'm still curious about whether or not it's part of Wal-Mart.
That is how I found this info trying to find any link between Walmart and Joann's I couldn't find anything about it. I don't think there is a link or I should have been able to find something.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:29 PM

I work at a JoAnns and I do have to say that we don't have enough help. I'm in a small format store with 2 people working together. One is always a manager and then the peon "me". The manager has so much to do that most of the work is put on the other person. I've been in the Super Stores and see people standing around. We never have that luxury. I try to be nice to the guests, they do help make my paycheck. I get customers that come back only on the days that I work. I'm a quilter and can help with their choices of fabric and layouts of their quilts. We do have workers that have never sewn a day in their life and that's where a lot of the problem lies. Not enough help is probably the bigest problem though. Small wages and lots of work that makes it hard to get everything done.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:43 PM

about 15-20 years ago, all girls too home arts. That cooking, sewing, home health care etc. Today they do not teach girls how to do anything but maybe a little cooking in a microwave oven. They get 6 weeks of mixed bag sewing,
cooking and every thing else thrown at them and then its on to plastic class, mechanical class, wood shop, etc. Only 9th graders get this and when your done you still don't know what end of the needle to thread or what can be cooked but pizza. LOL! Thank God for 4-H. Angeline
Old 07-30-2010, 05:45 PM

I just live about 25 miles from the big store advertized in alot of quilt books called. FABRIC SHACK, it is a nice store but the owner (well lets say i cant print what i think of him). His daughter used to have a small fabric shack store in our town. She even quit working for her dad many years ago.
He finally updated the store. It has very small windows. you have to go clear thru the store to the front to see the real color. He finally painted the walls white. It helps alot. His store is in a small antique town called Waynesville, ohio. He also has a store with nothing but drapery fabric and etc.
If I can't find anywhere else i usually can find it there. There is only one draw back, most don't cost less than $8.00 a yard. The last project I made was a round table cloth and it cost me over $100. for the fabric alone.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:00 PM

I visited Joannes in Knoxville yesterday. It has just been "updated." There is definitely less fabric but on the up side they had put all of the cutting tables in one spot instead of spread around the dept. and now you take a number for service. A lot of new faces but they were friendly and I was asked if I needed help instead of having to hunt someone. I did have to stand in line quite a while as they only had 1 cashier open.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:08 PM

Ay our new Joann's, only about 1/4 of the store is fabric and the fabric for the most part is not as good either.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:03 AM

I think this goes in spurts like anything else.

In a couple of weeks, if that, it will be back to fabric.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by ClairVoyantQuilter
Yes . . .though I think they've been on this trend for awhile. They really used to be a sewing only store . . .now it's mostly crafts, etc with fabric thrown in almost as an afterthought.

There must be some sort of consumer surveys that reflect fewer people making those types of purchases so they're moving in another direction. But really . . .I think those of us who DO sew would purchase more from them if they carried higher quality fabrics. Even when my children were young and I did much more garment sewing . . .it was next to impossible to find good quality fabrics for garments. I relied heavily on a clearing house for a local children's garment factory for most of my fabrics. There was no way I could find those types of fabrics at JoAnns.

Incidently . . .JoAnn's USED to be called ClothWorld before changing their name. There's a reason that name was changed . . .to take the emphasis off sewing supplies . . .
I remember ClothWorld and they were terrific. I miss them. I buy most of my fabric online these days.