Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Fireworks quilt blocks pieced >

Fireworks quilt blocks pieced

Fireworks quilt blocks pieced

Old 07-28-2010, 04:57 PM

WOW -- I'm speechless!! (And that doesn't happen very often :oops: )
Old 07-28-2010, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover
Originally Posted by k3n
Absolutely stunning. I love it. And I especially like the amount of 'space' (pun intended!) you left between each PP explosion. The restraint of this makes the quilt elegant and spectacular at the same time. The FMQ is perfect, I must admit that I wasn't sure if it detracted when I saw the first pics of just the blocks but it absolutely does NOT - it enhances. Well done you, wonderful work. :-D
I had a hard time finding thread for the background for the fmq. At first I was thinking, I'd use a variegated gray, but couldn't find a single one that didn't include a real light gray or white. That was just too much contrast and really made your eye zoom to that white line. I didn't want that! Black also was too dark. At this point, I got quite frustrated - I've come this far with this project and now I can't find the right color of thread for the background fmq!! In the end I used a Mettler dark gray 100 % polyester. The shop I bought it from had 2 spools left. I did run out, but by then they had more, so got more. I used about 2 1/2 spools. The background fabric is a subtle print of spirals (snail shapes) in med., med dark, dark gray and black. That fabric, I too ran out of, and had to find it online and order more when I decided to expand the size of the design.

That 'space' in between the star circles is meant to be there to show the individual breaks of color of a snail shell. This type of shell is rare to see in a fireworks show, since they take so much time to make, therefore are very expensive. They also are very large - like 8 - 10" diameter and 3' long in a cylinder shape. You need a very large budget to have one of these in a show. After all, a paying customer isn't going to want to spend 3/4 of their budget, on one shell. Several members of our local fireworks club make these shells. There will be several of them at the opening show on Sunday, Aug. 8th, at the racetrack venue in Kaukauna, Wisconsin. This is east of Appleton about 5 miles. If any of you live or will be traveling in this area, seeing the Opening Show on Sunday or the Finale Show on Friday, Aug. 13th, will be a spectacular way to spend an evening. You'll see fireworks you've never seen before in your life and never will again. Each year hundreds of people make shells to shoot at the nightly shows or in competition (after the planned displays /demos). These big shells are made one at a time over many months time, not mass produced in a factory in China. The Finale on Fri., you'll see things like no where else in the world. This is the Pyrotechnics Guild International Convention, afterall. Each year, the members try to outdo each other, with effects that are bigger, brighter and louder than before.
I hope you plan on entering this quilt in a show. I would be surprised if you didn't win
Old 07-30-2010, 03:35 AM

fireworkslover...

I have to say that seeing your quilt is the reason I joined this forum.. I have been surfing it for days.. and when I saw your quilt I had to leave a comment..

that is truly gorgeous.. very pretty... and you are from my home town.. lol.. it was a sign that I had to join this site..

thank you for allowing us to see such a pretty piece of work..
Old 07-30-2010, 05:36 PM

Thank you all for your positive comments. I am quite proud of it and this one will stay in my house until I die. I will let you know how the judging comes out, when I get back home in mid August.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:27 PM

Can't wait till you have the completed quilt here for all of us to be dazzeled!
Old 07-30-2010, 10:23 PM

That is crazy GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: I sure hope you win Grand Champion!!!
Old 07-30-2010, 10:37 PM

Absolutely aweome!!!

Incredible!!!
Old 07-31-2010, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Cath1776
Can't wait till you have the completed quilt here for all of us to be dazzeled!
Go to page 16 and see the completed quilt and close ups of each star circle.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:07 AM

Beautiful.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:26 AM

Wow, what can I say that hasn't already been said.....that is the most gorgeous quilt, you should be very proud.........

Congratulations I hope you do very well with it, which I'm sure you will. :D :thumbup: