Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please help me storage of quilts question >

Please help me storage of quilts question

Please help me storage of quilts question

Old 07-31-2010, 06:13 AM

I have purchased some UNbuffered acid free tissue paper, some lavender sachets (lavender keeps bugs out) here is my question:
After using the paper and sachets can I then store the quilts in those plastic storage bags that you suck the air out of (even if I don't suck all the air out) or other plastic storage bags?

I have my great great grandmothers quilt and as it was handed down over the last 150 years, at some point it started being kept in plastic (like what a blanket or drape comes in from the store) and the thread has dissolved in lots of areas and it has turned VERY YELLOW, but that will be my next post for help on how repair it safely.

So y'all can see why my question regarding putting quilts in plastic.

Is there plastic out there that is safe for quilts if they are wrapped in UNbuffered acid free tissue paper?

Boy, that was a long post for such a simple question, :roll: lmao.

God bless you and yours, thank you for your help
Pam
Old 07-31-2010, 06:40 AM

I've been told never to store a quilt in plastic and never to store a quilt folded. Not sure about the plastic, but if a quilt is stored folded there will be "creases" from the batting. I'd like to know the answers to these questions also!
Old 07-31-2010, 06:44 AM

a friend of mine rolls her quilts - I liked that idea so much that I've begun doing mine the same way - therefore cannot store them in plastic... I have a big storage area though...
Old 07-31-2010, 07:14 AM

I learned my lesson on not putting quilts in cedar chest when the wood from the chest ate the fabric on the folds of "my" baby quilt. I'm now almost 67.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:30 AM

If you have a bed that's not in use lay then flat on the bed and put a spread or a sheet over them. If you must store them folded just put them in a pillow case. Take them out at least every few months (3 or 4 times a year), lay them flat for a day or two then refold them a different way and store them again.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

You do not want to store in plastic bags because of outgassing from the plastic. This can have deteriorating effects on fabric.

Hard plastic storage bins do not outgas, but you have the problem of trapping moisture inside the bin. The trapped moisture will be bad for the fabric. That's why wedding gowns are preserved in vacuum boxes; all the air is removed to prevent moisture damage to the fabric. Plastic bins still might be an option for you if you drill holes in the plastic to allow for air circulation and/or incorporate packets of moisture-eaters (sorry, I forgot the name -- it's the same stuff that is in the little packets that come inside bottles of vitamins, and is sold in stores for flower preservation).

As others have mentioned, quilts need to be re-folded every few months if they are stored folded. Folding on the diagonal (corners to center first) is best because it distributes stress along the bias (which means many threads bear a little stress instead of a couple of threads bearing all of the stressof the fold).

The best solution is to store flat on an unused bed, covered with a sheet. Quite a few quilts can be stored on one bed this way. Ideally the bed should be big enough so the quilt doesn't have to hang over the edge. Benefits to storing flat are that there is no stress along fold lines. The quilt does need to be covered to protect not only against dust, but against the damage that can be done by light. Not only sunlight, but also room lighting work to deteriorate fabric.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:50 AM

Never store quilts in plastic bags or cedar chests.
Store them in fabric, like a large pillowcase. Or pillow cover.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:58 AM

My quild has in the past had some storage boxes along with the acid free paper to store quilts.
I know they ordered the boxes in a large amount when we first got them.
you might can google and find them if not let me know and I will do some checking for you with the guild
Old 07-31-2010, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

Heavens, i stored some purchased quilts (expensive) in plastic garbage bags and in a bathroom!!! i was lucky they survived all right.
i'd never do that again.
some sites sell cloth bags already made up that zip and are safe. big enough to store two quilts or maybe more.
i got some from keepsakequilting.com or connectingthreads.com. some people store quilts in pillow cases.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:08 PM

I had a quilt box made by a friend's husband who is an experienced carpenter. It is beautiful, and holds lots of quilts and quilted items.
I will admit; they are folded, but I take them out every few weeks and change the wall hangings around, thus also re-folding them in the process. I also layer them on the beds, but I love my quilt box, and have had many compliments on it.
Our guild emphasized not to ever store them in plastic for the same reasons the girls in above posts stated.
Mariah