Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have You Hit a Quilting Slump? >

Have You Hit a Quilting Slump?

Have You Hit a Quilting Slump?

Old 08-03-2010, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Twilliebee
Marcia, I'm not very educated about block names. Would you mind telling me the name of the lovely block in your avatar? Thanks. I'm glad you're here and I'm happy I found this board. I really feel like part of a community. I live in a rural area, and it's great to drop in here any time of the day or night and find someone 'home'. Take care and go for a little self pampering!
Twilliebee,
You are so sweet and kind. I'm glad I'm on the list too.
In answer to your question about the block name of my
avatar, I've seen it listed as several names, including "Father's Choice" and New England Block. There may be other
names, but it is definitely a traditional block. However,
I drew this block up myself for one of my quilt designs.
The fabric placement is what makes it unique and gives
the effect that it has. When I design a quilt, I never look
at blocks and use those. Instead I get inspired by my fabric,
see in my head the overall design and then sit down and
draw it. After that, I play with my fabrics to achieve the
look I want. Fabric placement can completely change a
block and the overall look of the finished quilt. This particular
quilt has two blocks, my avatar being one of them, that go together for the finished look. Thanks for asking.
Marcia
Old 08-03-2010, 01:03 PM

I'm sort of new to the board. I read every day and I can relate to your problem. I see all these beautiful quilts others have made and wish I could get in the mood. I know I will one of these days. I have too big of a stash not to use some of it :-P You said you have patterns thought out but don't feel like sewing them up, maybe if you had some one make up one of your patterns, it would give you a boost to do one of your own. Or make one of your patterns in other fabric to show the difference. Hopefully a little inspiration will hit when you see one of your patterns sewn up.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:25 PM

So many helpful ideas here, from medical to spiritual to teaching...here's another one I'm working on myself right now - moving - walking, swimming, whatever you might do. Could help boost your energy to get over that feeling of just not wanting to get back into the sewing room. At least, I'm hoping it works for me! I've been in a major slump as well. Just knowing so many have been there is helpful!
Old 08-03-2010, 01:29 PM

I took a break from quilting for 3 years one time, just couldn't bring myself to 'do it', I thought about it alot, but that's as far as it went, the last 2 years I've been back at it , sometimes every day, sometimes only once a week. It'll pass for you also.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:34 PM

I recently went thru' a quilting slump myself. What finally helped me find my way out was doing other "artsy" things. I took a class on Artist Trading Cards & Art Journaling, plus I paint ceramics twice a week. Then, the funniest thing really got me going - I was watching Letterman one night & an actress was on, talking about driving in New York City with her kids & seeing a fellow dressed in a banana suit walking down the sidewalk. They all commented on how hot he must be in that suit! Then she rolled down her window & said "Rock on banana guy!" (much to the horror of her kids!) Well, that story just really tickled my funny bone, and by the time the commercials rolled around, I had a new quilt in my head! I haven't made it yet, but I have sketched it out, along with a patriotic red, white & blue quilt too!
So, like Patrice said, don't force yourself. Maybe try something else & watch some funny movies! LOL :D
Old 08-03-2010, 01:38 PM

My sister and I went through about a year of that when our Mom passed away. I started out working on little things like table runners, towels and place mats. Then I slowly worked back to quilts. One thing that helped tremendously was thoroughly cleaning my sewing room and rearranging all of my stash. I put fabrics together for kits and sorted out all of the rest to put in labeled totes. All of that kind of got me renewed.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by marciacp
Originally Posted by Twilliebee
Would you mind telling me the name of the lovely block in your avatar?
Twilliebee,
I've seen it listed as several names, including "Father's Choice" and New England Block.... fabric placement is what makes it unique and gives the effect that it has....I get inspired by my fabric....I play with my fabrics to achieve the
look I want. Fabric placement can completely change a
block and the overall look of the finished quilt. This particular
quilt has two blocks...that go together for the finished look. Thanks for asking.
Marcia

Hi Marcia,
Well, whatever else is going on in your life I have no doubt at all that you're an exceptional artist and a natural born teacher.
First, your response to my question (thanks!) about your avatar was complete, clear, and succinct.
Second, you shared that info generously and went above and beyond the call of duty doing so.
Third, I went to a number of other websites and looked at 'Father's Choice' blocks. Your choice of colours (I'm Canadian, eh? LOL) is marvellous, but your fabric placement is brilliant.
I had to look more than once to confirm that I was looking at the same block.
I know we can't be there live, but I would love to have you do some tutorials or even start a column in the journals area and just write whatever interests you at any given moment.
You inspired me in 4 or 5 sentences flat......... that's a gift.
I hope you find a new way to use it that fills you with pure joy. This message contains a giant hug that can be used over and over again. Open it any time! {{{{{{{ :thumbup: }}}}}}}}
Old 08-03-2010, 02:52 PM

Start something small, that you can make in a few days. Something that can be a gift or for charity. Don't plan something that will require days, weeks, or months, to finish. I recently went to Sister's Oregon, Outdoor quilt Show, where they make fabric postcards for Wendy's Foundation. It is a foundation for kids with Cancer. The postcards are made and turned in for sale or silent auctions. The best ones are matted and framed and "Silent Auction"ed off. In three years they have made over $30,000. The top ones were a set of three all mated together and they went for $350. Maybe you could do something like that, for Charity or just gifts. Nothing big, so it isn't daunting.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by marciacp
I have been making quilts for 20 years, have taught numerous
quilt classes, owned my own on-line quilt shop for a while, and
am a published quilt pattern designer. However, for some reason,
I have hit a huge 'slump' where making quilts is concerned.
For some reason I cannot seem to make myself work on anything.

This has been going on for a year or so, but in recent
months it is worse. Also, it seems I have lost most
of the people I used to quilt with because of various circumstances in their lives, so I feel more isolated now.
I have tried and tried to make myself go in my work room
and 'just do it', but most times I walk in there, look at all
my fabric and half-started projects, and just turn around
and walk out. Has this happened to anyone else, and if so,
what did you do to turn things around? I need help!!!
Thanks,
Marcia
I UNDERSTAND!!!
Although I am only quilting for about five years, and started after I retired, I feel pressured to do quilts for others and it is taking all of the fun out of it for me. Sigh............I do want to try different blocks but just little wall quilts, not big "anything". I do need the push of a weekly group. It makes it so much more fun to show off what you have done in a week. Without the companionship, I don't have the same feeling about going in to quilt. I have JUST redone my entire playroom to make a new quilting room for me and it is bright, beautiful, neat, well laid out and I sew for fifteen minutes and then...................blah. So, you are NOT alone. Take a rest from it. Check with your doctor to be sure you are physically fine and then DON'T DO ANYTHING YOU DON'T FEEL LIKE! Take a rest, keep in touch with all of us and remember, YOU need to take care of YOU. (Now I should take my own advice!) Here's a couple of hugs.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:thumbup: :roll: :thumbup:
Old 08-03-2010, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
I've hit a slump too! I finished my first top in June, then a week or two later a lap size top. Then I started cutting pieces for my next project. I cut quite a few pieces the wrong size and just can't get back in the swing. I even signed up for 2 'group thingy's, and still nothing.

Maybe it will get better before Fall. :(
Huge hugssssssss for all our dishearted members. I know the frustration, twisted quilter, of making large errors in cutting. I have fibro and in my fibrofogs, I make a few such errors now and then also. It's frustrating and discouraging. For one of our Claudia's mystery rows, I cut the same pieces wrong 3 times before I finally got it right.
I finally just added a new peice to make the ones I had cut short long enough. I was worried how it looked, but received many compliments and was even asked for the name of my beautiful pattern!! I just smiled and named it the Wild Windmill.
Did the same with another row, and renamed that one the Tug Hill Snowflake.
I'm wondering whether those of you who have UFOs or WIPs would feel more motivated if you had a little contest here by posting some pics of some of your projects and letting us vote on which one you would tackle. As many of you as wanted to could take part. And who knows, just going thru them to pick out a few to photograph might be all you need to light the spark.
I know we'd have fun voting and helping you all get back in the stitch of things.