Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have You Hit a Quilting Slump? >

Have You Hit a Quilting Slump?

Have You Hit a Quilting Slump?

Old 08-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

I think you need to find a quilting group that meets maby once a week or every 2 weeks so you can get motivated again.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:41 PM

I feel a little like this now, still interested but dont have the motivation to start something. I am hoping it will
pass soon.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:50 PM

Maybe it's just time for a new hobby? Sometimes, we just need a new job, a new menu, etc. This could be the time for a new, completely different type of challenge for you.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Bea

Hi Jacki: I am reading your note with interest since I also have Graves Disease. I now have Thyroid Eye Disease which sometimes follows. I am unable to sew, drive or read and it is just the pits. TED usually runs a course of 2 to 3 yrs. I am now going to Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN to join a Clinical Study to try a new drug. If I am lucky, I get the drug, or maybe the plecebo if not. The last 3 yrs. have been a nightmare.

Hang in there. Me, too. Bea Gasteyer
Old 08-03-2010, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by marciacp
I have been making quilts for 20 years, have taught numerous
quilt classes, owned my own on-line quilt shop for a while, and
am a published quilt pattern designer. However, for some reason,
I have hit a huge 'slump' where making quilts is concerned.
For some reason I cannot seem to make myself work on anything.

This has been going on for a year or so, but in recent
months it is worse. Also, it seems I have lost most
of the people I used to quilt with because of various circumstances in their lives, so I feel more isolated now.
I have tried and tried to make myself go in my work room
and 'just do it', but most times I walk in there, look at all
my fabric and half-started projects, and just turn around
and walk out. Has this happened to anyone else, and if so,
what did you do to turn things around? I need help!!!
Thanks,
Marcia
I am so sorry to hear about your problem!! As I am only just starting my first quilt I have never had that problem!! But I know I can use all the advice and help I can get in learning how to quilt and sew!!! I don't have and have never had a quilt in my 45 years :cry: , So jump up get started and please make me one!! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: ;-) ;-) My favorite colors are pink and purple!! :lol: (you don't have to do that lol) But if you feel the need to quilt again this may be a reason for you to start!!! I would gladly pay you!! :lol: :mrgreen: :-o ;-) Just trying to Help!!!! Ms. Shawn
Old 08-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Dee

Just relax and take a break. I get quilted out myself. Take a break and one day you'll dance in your room and get started with a whole new outlook.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:11 PM

i think that is really normal and you shouldnt beat yourself up for it...when i get like that i just cant get it together..so i stop for a few days and then i go and make a purse or a table runner or sew up a skirt or pair of pants and that usually does it for me..one of my friends alternates between quilting and knitting..plus i think most of us need a purpose to quilt..a birthday or baby shower or wedding gift or whatever..best of all..maybe this site will do it for you..good luck and dont give up
Old 08-03-2010, 07:17 PM

Take a break, don't even think of quilting! Sometimes that's just the way it works. Try doing some physical challenges for yourself. Learn how to swim ( I still need to do that one) roller blade, hike at a local st. park or National Park ( free admission Aug 14 and 15). Just do something completely different and the urge to quilt and create will surprise you again!
Old 08-03-2010, 08:18 PM

Nearly 10 months ago, my only son committed suicide (work and wife related). In all other stressful times in my life, quilting has been the therapy that kept me grounded. But now i have found that I can't start or finish any of my projects. The last week or so I have been trying to re-organize my stash and sewing room in the hope that I will find some of that comfort I have always found in my sewing room. Not sure it's going to work, but my husband built me a beautiful sewing room and always encourages my quilting and helps me pick colors and is worried about me and I hate to add more stress on him than he already has. He is also dealing with the same sadness too.
It's funny that it's much easier to tell this to a group of on-line friends than it is to admit the same thing to in- person family and friends.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:05 PM

i have been i a slump a few times , i just take a break and get back to it when i am ready , if i push myself to quilt i wouold make plenty of mistakes and get discouraged more so go ahead and take a break . you will come around soon