Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many paper piecers are here? >

How many paper piecers are here?

How many paper piecers are here?

Old 08-05-2010, 04:25 PM

Here's a good online tutorial - it's making flowers and stars for applique, but the technique can be applied to any shapes. The only thing I do differently (because I was taught to do it this way) is I paperclip the edges of the fabric over the paper template before I begin basting - this just keeps it securely in place so you're sure to baste it neatly and securely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDrTVi0jk6w

As for cutting the paper templates, I generally use my ruler to mark up the shapes I need on the lightest weight cardboard I can buy from the newsagent, and then cut them out with scissors. But I like Virginia's idea of using a dull blade to cut the paper! That would avoid my slightly wonky hand-cut templates. :)
Old 08-05-2010, 04:31 PM

Love PP!
Old 08-05-2010, 04:36 PM

Check out Carol Doak's website - http://www.caroldoak.com

She also has a Yahoo group and has a lot of free patterns you can print once you are a member. The members are also very helpful with any questions, just like they are here.

Originally Posted by rubia
I've been considering paper piecing but I'm in the "research and learn" phase right now. Any tips on tutorials would be great! I plan on scouring the site for info.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:38 PM

My first first quilt was a Storm at Sea pp. I had gotten the basics in a workshop with George Siciliano and made a potholder out of 4 of his little blocks. Then off I went: the next project was my avatar - a pattern (slightly adapted) from Norah McMeeking. So, I think pp is a good way to get a great outcome without worrying too much about making pieces fit together.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:39 PM

I don't normally care about paper piecing. It is ok. But I did come across a star pattern that I might do. It is so pretty. The star part was done in yellows and the background was most black. I thought it was stunning. Now I have a sister who lives in Washington who just loves doing paper piecing.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:40 PM

Is that the quilt under your name (Storm at Sea) you are talking about. Well it is just beautiful either way.

Originally Posted by nanabeth
My first first quilt was a Storm at Sea pp. I had gotten the basics in a workshop with George Siciliano and made a potholder out of 4 of his little blocks. Then off I went: the next project was my avatar - a pattern (slightly adapted) from Norah McMeeking. So, I think pp is a good way to get a great outcome without worrying too much about making pieces fit together.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:59 PM

Storm at Sea is different - I don't have a picture of the wall hanging I made but an image is easy to find if you google. It is made with all straight seams but overall it gives the illusion of waviness.

My avatar is from Norah McMeeking's book Bella Bella with a slight change. It is based on a pattern she adapted from Italian mosaic floors.

http://www.bellabellaquilts.com/home.html
Old 08-05-2010, 05:11 PM

LOVE THE GOLD mariners compass. Great use of fabric.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:13 PM

I love paperpiecing too and always trying to figure out how to change patterns to paperpiecing but I do big quilts too the traditional piecing way. :thumbup:
Old 08-05-2010, 05:20 PM

I've done lots of paper piecing. It is fun especially with small blocks.