Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who else is dealing with this extreme heat? >

Who else is dealing with this extreme heat?

Who else is dealing with this extreme heat?

Old 08-06-2010, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bev
Really hot here in n.central Fl.
We're used to hot summers too, but this is the most awful! The humidity makes it much, much worse!
I recently went to Northern Italy to visit my son and his family. They were suffering with the hottest heat wave in years. But here's the worst part, there was NO air conditioning there anyplace! Not in the house, not in the stores, not even in the hospital! I thought I'd suffocate with the heat before I got home to lovely, air conditioned, Florida. Here, in this kind of heat, we go from air conditioned car to air conditioned store, and back to air conditioned home. It's sort of like up north in the winter with the heating. 8-)
There are not window units sold there? You know the travel brochures don't tell you these type details.
:shock:
Old 08-06-2010, 07:00 AM

[

OK I am :mrgreen: with envy!!!!!!!!!!! We have had rain for weeks. Oh yes the sun shines and the sky is blue at 9:30 at night. What good does that do!!!??? :? Some heat in the day time would be so nice! Trade ya![/quote]

You would be sorry. It is awful here sometimes. I love Texas but I hate sweating.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:06 AM

I am having heat related headaches and I stay in as much as possible. DH works in the yard/garden, comes in soaking wet, cools down and goes back out. It has been in the triple digets here too, with the heat index. I am ready for winter.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:11 AM

Very hot & humid here as well, about 101 with the index being 110 for a few days now. But we usually get several days like this every summer. Just hope those without air conditioning can find a good shade tree to sit under.
I grew up in Ky. and we didn't have air cond., but we had a good large tree in the back yard. Mom kept a patio table & chairs under there and that's where we stayed during the hottest days. Mom went inside long enough to wash clothes & cook, then we hung the clothes on the line under the tree and ate while they dried. :)
Old 08-06-2010, 08:46 AM

I am in Bardstown, Ky and dealing with this heat as well. Today feels better and hopefully it will cool down soon.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:02 AM

In the Kansas City, MO area it has been so hot! Our heat indexes have also been over 100 this week. I was so happy to wake up this morning to a temp of just 71 degrees! My husband and I sat out on the deck with our coffee cups and just enjoyed the weather. Of course, it's 86 now.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Originally Posted by Bev
Really hot here in n.central Fl.
We're used to hot summers too, but this is the most awful! The humidity makes it much, much worse!
I recently went to Northern Italy to visit my son and his family. They were suffering with the hottest heat wave in years. But here's the worst part, there was NO air conditioning there anyplace! Not in the house, not in the stores, not even in the hospital! I thought I'd suffocate with the heat before I got home to lovely, air conditioned, Florida. Here, in this kind of heat, we go from air conditioned car to air conditioned store, and back to air conditioned home. It's sort of like up north in the winter with the heating. 8-)
There are not window units sold there? You know the travel brochures don't tell you these type details.
:shock:
I didn't think to ask about window units, but I know that most people have fans. They seem to be made of sturdier stuff than I am though. They mostly just make do and try to ignore the heat. I didn't hear a whole lot of people complaining. Of course there was ME! I complained when I couldn't sleep at night. That's the part that really gets you down.
Y'know, thinking about window units, the little town where my family lives is extremely old. They have a few newer homes, but most are the older ones. I recall that when my son turned the fans on in the bedrooms, and then my DIL turned on the washer, everything went out! My son had to do something with the electrical box. Probably the wiring in the old homes can't really handle anything heavy duty. 8-)
Old 08-06-2010, 09:52 AM

DENVER AREA MUCH HOTTER THAN LAST YEAR. TOO HOT TO EVEN SIT ON DECK WHEN CLOUDY. OH, WELL, MOTHER NATURE WILL HIT US WITH SNOW AND COLD BEFORE WE KNOW IT.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:23 AM

It is 64 and kinda cloudy 71% humidity. A cool day. I was thinking of going to the fair today but the fairgrounds are right on the beach and it is cold up there today. I think I have decided to pass this year on going to the fair. I think with this weird weather the arthritis in my knees has made it so I can't walk around a whole lot.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Ohmigosh this heat is crazy!!!!! It's 97 with a heat index of 112 derees. I need to go to town but it's too hot. Ppl around here are not used to this kind of weather. All it does is remind me of Cali heat.
That's about what is was in Lexington KY. Walked out to my garden at the back of the yard and I was soaking wet by the time I got there( distance of about 100 feet)!