American Food

Old 08-08-2010, 07:45 AM

Eastern Montana is mostly beef country. Since we ranch, our freezer is always full of beef. So at home we eat a lot of beef, potatoes and anything we can get out of our garden. I also love to eat whatever the locals eat when I am traveling!
Old 08-08-2010, 08:06 AM

Here in California, a lot of our foods has a Mexican flavor. I Love our Mexican food with it's Cilantro, grilled shrimp, pico-de-gallo, tacos, enchilada's w/ green chili!!
A favorite we cook here is Beef Tri-Tip roast. Dh cooks it on the grill and seasons it just right!!! When DH's dad moved to Texas, he can't find a Tri-Tip cut of beef anywhere. He has bought some here, froze it and shipped it to Texas to eat.
We eat a lot of fresh strawberries. We are very spoiled with Fresh Citrus, a lot of us have trees in our yards. We get fresh fruits and veggies throughout the year.
Dh was raised in the South. He loves Biscuits and Gravy, personally I can't stomach the thought.....
Old 08-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

Cawl is the Welsh word for soup or broth.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:07 AM

When i think of american food it is usually the junk food things that stand out, chilli dogs annd meatloaf being another 2 things! lol

No meatloaf in the UK,or not that i have ever seen :)
Wouldnt mind trying a twinkie though ha ha

Welsh cakes are a bit like a scone but they are flat and sprinkled with sugar. You can either have currants / raisins in them or yummy strawberry jam. Best served warm straight off an iron griddle pan :)

Cawl or Caul is a welsh word and is a broth/soup with fresh vegetables and lamb. I like it covered in vinegar with some chunky bread to dip :)

welsh cakes
[ATTACH=CONFIG]93751[/ATTACH]

cawl
[ATTACH=CONFIG]93752[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-93746.jpe
Views:	71
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	93751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-93747.jpe
Views:	57
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	93752  
Old 08-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

We eat alot of venison, fish and beef here. When DD went to France her senior year she thought she dicovered the greatest find there, NUTELLA!!!!!!!!!!!! She evn broght a bunch home, and then I showed her we DO have it here!
She brought chocolate home too, and the chocolate tasted a bit different too???? Not sure why, maybe richer? I loved it, LOL, I am a chocoholic!
Old 08-08-2010, 09:23 AM

How about some of our southern food like Poke Salad - Elvis sang a about Poke Salad Annie. I looked it up and apparently its made from a native plant that if you don't prepare it properly is poisonous!
Or another southern favorite of my husband is buttermilk pie. I think gizzards are gross but I know lots of people just love 'em.

From my side of the family I know about ludefisk (spelling? from Sweden) but I don't eat it - yuck!
Old 08-08-2010, 09:27 AM

Oooo! I just remembered one of my favorites! Apple dumplings and strawberry shortcake. I like mine with a little milk on them.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:31 AM

I love different food to a point. No raw fish for me.But I consider it lucky I have lived in different areas of the county. Arizona , grew up with Chili, and burritos also venison and any kind of wild meat available. 6 kids we ate anything my Dad worked for the copper mines and they were always on strike.
NJ . All kinds of sea food and Italian food and Jewish Deli's . They still have the best pizza and sub sandwiches up there. I miss the food the most.
Then FL. Again sea food.
Then Georgia, Biscuits and gravy, grits, I eat them with butter, Fried catfish. So I figure I can eat almost anything. No okra or pigs insides though
Old 08-08-2010, 09:35 AM

Being in the south North Carolina to be exact two of our best local foods are fried chicken and of course chopped pork BBQ with hush puppies (basically fried dough). If it can be fried the south will fry it, not too good for you but sure is yummy. :)
Old 08-08-2010, 09:48 AM
JJs
Banned

You guys are making me hungry...
we're having 'midwest' potatoes, greenbeans and sausage' for supper tonite - easy easy
when grandson comes for a visit later this month, we'll have chicken/sausage gumbo

My mother was raised on a farm - good old Midwest country cooking, but we're a huge mix of German, English, French, Irish, Scots, etc (what was that about the "melting pot"? LOL) So that "country cooking" has bits and pieces of everything thrown in the pot.

Do not under any circumstances try to put any nasty ole liver and onions anywhere near my plate tho... or tripe, or souse, chicken feet, hog's snout, pigs feet, gizzards, and forget the collard greens, some of that stuff is just plain nasty - worse than the Road Kill Grill..