American Food

Old 08-08-2010, 09:49 AM

Here in the Pacific Northwest we have lots of fresh seafood. Salmon particularly. Love it! :thumbup: Also Eastern Washington is known for it's apples, peaches, apricots and cherries. Also Walla-Walla Onions....sweet and yummy.

I remember years ago when I was visiting a friend in Wales we walked to the neighborhood "chip shop" (I think he called it). We bought delicious fish and chips and they wrapped it up in newspaper for us to take home with us. It was SO good!
Old 08-08-2010, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by kristen0112
How about some of our southern food like Poke Salad - Elvis sang a about Poke Salad Annie. I looked it up and apparently its made from a native plant that if you don't prepare it properly is poisonous!
Or another southern favorite of my husband is buttermilk pie. I think gizzards are gross but I know lots of people just love 'em.

From my side of the family I know about ludefisk (spelling? from Sweden) but I don't eat it - yuck!
Poke Salad is just the leaves off the poke plant. The berries are poisonous. Not sure about the stalks. Have had poke salad many, many times mixed with dandelion greens and river greens. I have no idea what river greens actually are, though. Something Mom & Grandma used to pick.

Gizzards are excellent as are mountain oysters. I have never met anyone else that ate squirrel heads so I don't know where my mother learned that from.

We have a cottage cheese pie in our family recipe book. It came from my father's mother whose family came from Eastern Tennessee. I wonder if it's similar to buttermilk pie?

There are all kinds of meats made with animal parts that usually go into commercial dog food that my family made. I don't miss those at all! I do miss some of the things made with lard, though and cracklings in the store are nothing like fresh, hot, straight out of the rendering pot, cracklings.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by welshgem
When i think of american food it is usually the junk food things that stand out, chilli dogs annd meatloaf being another 2 things! lol

No meatloaf in the UK,or not that i have ever seen :)
Wouldnt mind trying a twinkie though ha ha

Welsh cakes are a bit like a scone but they are flat and sprinkled with sugar. You can either have currants / raisins in them or yummy strawberry jam. Best served warm straight off an iron griddle pan :)

Cawl or Caul is a welsh word and is a broth/soup with fresh vegetables and lamb. I like it covered in vinegar with some chunky bread to dip :)
The Welsh Cakes look very similar to our silver dollar pancakes.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:13 AM

Being so near St. Louis, the things you get here and no where else are Imo's Pizza (a very thin crust with Provel cheese), Toasted Ravioli--It is normal except toasted and then covered with herbs & parmesan and usually served with marinara sauce, and Ted Drewes' Frozen Custard. There are probably other St. Louis specific dishes but I'm not originally from this area & not too impressed with the ones mentioned above so others may have just gone in one ear & out the other.

I do know that driving around through the city of St. Louis, you will see lots of different signs on little hole-in-the-wall places for all kinds of soul food, Chinese, delicatessens, fresh fish, pit barbecue, pulled pork, etc. These are almost always in not so nice parts of the city and there is no way I'm stopping to eat at one without a team of pistol packing football players with me.

The places remind me a little of the "cocinas economias" in Mexico. Little sidewalk stands in front of the homes that serve really cheap lunches to anyone walking through the neighborhood except the neighborhoods were much less scary in Mexico.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:38 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

In our area, we do "Buffalo Wings". They're deep-fried chicken wings, in a buttery hot sauce. Traditionally it is not a sweet sauce, though there are variations that are sometimes used. Usually they are served with celery sticks and blue cheese.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-93825.bmp
Views:	144
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	93830  
Old 08-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

Coming from Germany, it took me a while to get used to American food - or rather, I missed the German food a lot. Now, I can find most things in the continental stores and supermarkets, plus, I find that my taste buds have changed. Things I used to LOVE back home just don't taste the same.

Living in California, it cracks me up that other states have "California [something]" on the menu, and all they do is add bacon and avocado. (Sometimes sprouts). lol

For me it was hysterical when people would bake me a German Chocolate Cake. They were so surprised when I told them that it is made originally with chocolate from a guy named German. (I really don't like that mushy topping).
The other eye-opener was those well-meaning folks who "fixed" Sauerkraut by heating a can of kraut. YUK! That is the worst way to ever make the dish which I love when it is prepared properly.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:51 AM
JJs
Banned

well ja, there are Swiss and German in NE Indiana .... in fact, the "official" language of Fort Wayne was German for quite awhile
Old 08-08-2010, 10:59 AM

Raised in the north but live in the south and love Grits.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:01 AM

what are biscuits and chocolate gravy?

:-)
Old 08-08-2010, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dancing Needle

I remember years ago when I was visiting a friend in Wales we walked to the neighborhood "chip shop" (I think he called it). We bought delicious fish and chips and they wrapped it up in newspaper for us to take home with us. It was SO good!
Wow dont you have chip shops? lol That is a shocker. What chips do you eat then?
Or is everything fries over there?