American Food

Old 08-09-2010, 01:40 AM

Well I never heard of Chocolate gravy before.
Here in Utah there is a lot of ice cream sold. Another thing is Jello salad, especially at potlucks, or when a meal fixed by one family and taken to another family. We also eat a lot of potatoes.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:02 AM

I remember once years ago a friend went to the US and brought home some Reeses Peanut Butter cups. Ohhhh, they were soooo YUMMY!!
Then, some bright spark invented them here is Australia, and they are horrible!! I much prefer the US ones.

One thing that comes across my mine was a recepie I posted on another site a few years ago, and it called for Malt Biscuits. I didnt know that in the US, you dont call them biscuits, but you call them cookies lol. I had so many people ask me what a bisuit was it was really funny, and then I was asked Malt biscuits.....seems you cant get them in the US or Malt cookies. We get them here, and they are really yummy.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by BKrenning
Originally Posted by Lisanne
By now you've read descriptions and seen pictures of Twinkies. In case you didn't realize it, they are a product of the Hostess company, which makes snack-sized cakes and pies.

Personally, I always preferred Hostess cupcakes, Suzy Q's or HoHos to their Twinkies, but it's Twinkies people mention in the catchphrase about "giving up the Twinkies" (going on a diet).

Growing up in the Midwest, Hostess was THE reigning brand for snack cakes. Others were considered "off-brands" and not as good. Moved to Philadelphia, where Tastykakes were the home brand to find Hostess products dismissed. "They don't have anything like butterscotch krimpets, do they?"

Philadelphia is a city that loves its pretzels. They sell hot, soft salted pretzels from carts on the street, often with mustard, and it's considered perfectly fine to have a pretzel for breakfast.

You know the expression "as American as apple pie?" Apple pie is a classic, but I don't know that it's really all that popular any more. I don't see it in restaurants the way you see other desserts.

The most American food for me is the cheeseburger (with or without the fries and cole slaw).
You just reminded me about St. Louis', "Gus the Pretzel Guy" that sells hot pretzels on busy street corners & Krispy Kreme Donuts--yes they do have butterscotch Krimpets only they call them something else. And that apple pie you mentioned is also available at every other gas station in the midwest by the same maker as the Twinkie and there are several off brands. Oh, and the McDonald's all have apple pies around here. Cherry, too in the summer--pumpkin in the fall.

I agree about the most American food is a big, thick, grilled burger at least here in the midwest.
Yabut how 'bout the little WHITE CASTLES! Probably my most favorite food in the world - Gut Bombs, Sliders, I can't remember the rest of the names for a White Castle. They are little thin square burgers with holes in them that are steamed on top of a layer of tiny chopped onions, with a slice of onion on top. I had a friend who could put a whole Gut Bomb in her mouth and eat it. When my husband and I get a bag of White Castles, we buy 10 of them, an order of onion chips and sit there and eat every one! They are about 55 cents each now. I used to be able to get a coke and four White Castles for lunch for 60 cents when I was working. Google White Castle and get the whole interesting story and find out that really they are very healthy for you! Edie PS - How 'bout a Pronto Pup, Foot Long, Pine Float (remember them? A glass of water with a toothpick in it!!!!!), the heel, hotdish!
Old 08-09-2010, 04:04 AM

Our daughter who is going to Uni in Auckland, NZ also mentioned that she was disappointed to find out that the McDonald's there doesn't have the bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit breakfast sandwich that is so popular in the U.S. She said, "Mom, they call cookies, "biscuits"!" It also follows that KFC in Auckland doesn't have their yummy buttermilk biscuits.

This is all very interesting, isn't it? I think that the differences in foods offered are one of the things DH and I enjoy most when we travel. Well, that, and all the interesting folks we meet. We like to hit the "Mom and Pop" places to eat. I think we were in Dublin, Ohio when we first encountered Chili Mac. And when we were in New Orleans, I discovered I just LOVE jambalaya!
Old 08-09-2010, 04:25 AM

We have Reeses peanutbutter cups in the UK now and they are one of my favourite chocolates :)

We also now have Krispy Kreme doughnuts but i dont like them, just cant stomach the smell of doughnuts full stop! lol
Old 08-09-2010, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

Edie, I have never lived anywhere but WI. BF had to take a trip, and we always heard about how wonderful WhiteCastle was! So, he sawone and stopped, and asked for a cheeseburger with the works. The lady started grinning...........imagine his surprise when he got a teeny tiny little sandwhich, lol! He said they were great though!
Old 08-09-2010, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by tweetee
I remember once years ago a friend went to the US and brought home some Reeses Peanut Butter cups. Ohhhh, they were soooo YUMMY!!
Then, some bright spark invented them here is Australia, and they are horrible!! I much prefer the US ones.

One thing that comes across my mine was a recepie I posted on another site a few years ago, and it called for Malt Biscuits. I didnt know that in the US, you dont call them biscuits, but you call them cookies lol. I had so many people ask me what a bisuit was it was really funny, and then I was asked Malt biscuits.....seems you cant get them in the US or Malt cookies. We get them here, and they are really yummy.
Can you send us the recipe for Malt Cookies (Biscuits). Like beer malt or chocolate malt?!! Also I make a delicious Jell-O that the kids call Leprechaun Poop! It is green, has celery, pineapple, cream cheese. Really super and cool for a hot day! Edie
Old 08-09-2010, 06:39 AM

Butter tarts :-P (Like pecan pie without the pecans )but with other nuts or raisins- my favourite :thumbup:
Old 08-09-2010, 07:33 AM

Now that everyone has made me HUNGRY! I need to go find something to eat. Thanks but still don't know what crawl and welsh cakes are.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by iltoaz
Now that everyone has made me HUNGRY! I need to go find something to eat. Thanks but still don't know what crawl and welsh cakes are.
There are pictures and descriptions on page 2!