Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Room >

Sewing Room

Sewing Room

Old 08-07-2010, 09:24 AM

Our big house which we sold was 150 years old and we heated it with a main wood stove, had window air conditioners. My sewing room was big, beautiful with 10 ft ceilings.We lived ther for 37 years, My stash is still like new, my cachines have never been to a repair store. The only change I made was about 10 years ago we bought an Ionizer for that room to keep it dustfree. When it seemed dry, I opened a window or turned on a fan. Enjoy your new craft house and take each thing as it comes your way.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sewze
I have read through this entire thread with interest because we have an 1920's empty farmhouse that was completely remodeled in the 70's with central air and heat (oil) on our farm, which we bought in '89. We lived in that house until we built our new house(on the farm)in 2002. Since moving into the new house, we have only allowed our grown children & families to live in the house until they could relocate; therefore, the house is in pretty decent shape. I have been contemplating moving my sewing/quilting/crafts into that house and was wondering about the necessity for keeping the oil furnace on in the Winter (down into the teens) and the AC in the Summer (90's -110 this year). I know the oil does put out soot around the floor vents and the humidity can get fairly high in the Summer without the AC on; but, it is about 2400sq ft. and I hate the expenses that they create. Can anyone tell me if it will harm the equiptment, including a LA if the AC only ran in the warmest hrs & the furnace in the coldest hrs.?
Oh, what I wouldn't give for a house that big....and in good shape. I'm sorry I can't help you out with your questions but I'm sure if you don't get any answers thru my thread if you would start one of your own you would get a lot of help. There is so much knowledge among these board members I know someone could help. Carol
Old 08-07-2010, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
Our big house which we sold was 150 years old and we heated it with a main wood stove, had window air conditioners. My sewing room was big, beautiful with 10 ft ceilings.We lived ther for 37 years, My stash is still like new, my cachines have never been to a repair store. The only change I made was about 10 years ago we bought an Ionizer for that room to keep it dustfree. When it seemed dry, I opened a window or turned on a fan. Enjoy your new craft house and take each thing as it comes your way.
Thank you so much. I'm feeling better about everything and I will make a note about the ionizer. Everyone has been so helpful.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:28 PM

I agree with ClairVoyant 100%. I have nothing to add except that if you have a closet or two you might want to put shelves in them to store your fabric. That way you can close the door to keep light out. Just make sure the bottom of the door has enough space to let the A/C pull out humidity or, if vice versa, to let humidity in.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:35 PM

I have a friend in Ledbetter Texas that has a cottage type house that she uses for her sewing studio. Sh has window AC and heat. No problem, she does keep the ceiling fan going all of the time and not the AC all of the time. About once a week she opens the window or door and let the air circulate. We have great times out there. hey put in a full bath and I stay out there when I visit. Good Luck
Old 08-10-2010, 04:22 AM

That is so cool to have a whole house to do something you enjoy.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Joyce
Is it possible that you could use a 210 electric baseboard type heaters? How cold does it get where you are? Are you going to be insulating your Craft House?
Just something to think about.
Where is greendale? I'm in Midland MI. Your in Midland Twp.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:38 AM

I agree with Momma B on the Kilz we had bought a house a few years ago and I cleaned with vinagar and TSP and used Kilz but I had to use a couple of coats and 2 coats of paint. also I agree pull out any carpet.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by DoxieMom
Oh, my! I'll bet your hands and arms are tired! Yikes!

Originally Posted by CAKELSEY
Originally Posted by Linda B
I was born and raised in Wichita Falls. I've been gone from Texas for over 35 years, but sometimes I still get homesick for the open skies and mesquite trees!! I love the idea of a small craft house. Please post pictures -- even 'before' and then the 'after' would be great to see.
Hi Linda, yes I live in Burkburnett.I've lived here since 1960....moved here when I was 16 from Garland. When I get to go on vacation and see all the pretty scenery and get back close to home I wonder why we live in such a flat place.LOL
I like your avatar pic. I have a doxie too. How old is yours? Mine is 5 yrs.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:24 AM

Where is greendale? I'm in Midland MI. Your in Midland Twp.[/quote]

Welcome to the board. You will love it here.
I don't live in the city of Midland, but I do live in the county of Midland, hence, Greendale Township.
I am about 15 miles west of downtown.
Chippewa River Rd dead-ends at our driveway which is a long one.