Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How many of us Quilt on a Treadle? >

How many of us Quilt on a Treadle?

How many of us Quilt on a Treadle?

Old 08-04-2010, 05:41 PM

I do all my quilt tops on a 66 Singer treadle and sometime the quilting. I do mostly hand quilting. Glenn
Old 08-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
I have heard of people doing that instead of using a darning foot. How can you FMQ with a foot on. Does the quilt slide around?

Thats why I am afraid of sewing without the foot as I dont want to lose a finger. I kinda like mine. Nothing fancy just standard fingers but they are mine :D
The quilt will slide around real easily with the foot on but like I said you have to back the presser foot tension way off. But I never had any problems at all with the way I do them.

Billy
Old 08-04-2010, 05:51 PM

Okay I asked this question on the other thread the vintage shop but I will ask here as it deals with quilting.

I am getting a singer 66 next week. The feed dogs do not drop on that one right? So how do I cover them is there one thing better then another to use a covering?

Thanks for all your help Billy!
Old 08-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Banned

Darning plate or use a business card taped to the bed over the feed dogs and that should work. But if you loosen the presser foot tension enough you can probably get away from all of that.

Billy
Old 08-07-2010, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

Aardie - thanks for your suggestions. The keyhole is round. I can look in and see a little hole. I can fit my stiletto in there, but that's about it. I guess I will look on ebay for a key. Didn't even think of that.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:13 AM

Just read through this thread, not sure how I missed it before. But I hope to have a treadle up and running by this weekend. I'll let you know how I like it.

I was reading in the manual of the new White VS treadle that I was cleaning the process of how to learn to treadle. I may only be practicing that this weekend. Seems like whenever I try, the wheel ends up going backwards.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:33 PM

Hey All,

I like the short stubby quilting foot that takes the guide rod/outrigger for quilting, not piecing.

Here is the question: way back when, on machines that didn't drop the feed dogs, for embroidery Singer said to move the stitch length to the smallest or "0" in order to stop the feed dogs from moving, then cover the feed dogs.

What do you think would happen to regularity of stitch length if you folks who don't cover the feed dogs do reduce presser foot to nothing and also put the stitch length to "0"? Do you think this would affect your stitch quality?

I am wondering if not having the feed dogs churning would reduce wear on the back of the quilt while you are moving it about for FMQ.

Aardie.

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Lostn51
I am wondering. Do you guys use walking feet on your treadles?
Also is there darning feet available? For FMQ

All I have id the regular foot and some others but nothing for quilting
I have never even tried a walking foot for any of my machines. I just drop the feed dogs loosen the presserfoot tension and FMQ like a mad man!!

Billy
Interesting I would have never thought :P
I dont know why I am afraid to sew without the presser foot. I have heard of others doing it even on new machines but I have a fear
:mrgreen:
I leave the foot on I would never think about taking the foot off that sounds like an accident waiting to happen!!

Billy
Old 08-10-2010, 01:38 PM

I love my treadle machine !!! It's just like the one my mother taught me to sew on over 50 years ago. Every time I sew on it it's like she is still sitting next to me. I looked it up on the Singer website, it was made in Germany and is now 104 years old! I love that someone keeps track of the serial #'s. I also downloaded the manual for free.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:47 PM

Hi Billy,

I recently bought a singer treadle that is in amazing condition considering its age and I was thinking that I might try piecing on it some time! But the couple of goes that I have had on it makes me think that I need to get a little fitter before I try.

Hugs
Old 08-10-2010, 03:40 PM

I may be way off base here, but I have found in past teaching classes, that it isn't always made clear the difference in the presser foot and the pressure on the presser foot.
The presser foot is what you set or let down when you start to sew, up when you've finished the seam.
The pressure is maintained by the round bar that will let you raise it, or lower it.
Put a double piece of fabric under the presser foot and lower it.
Now try to move the fabric back and forth under the lowered foot. If it does not move, you have good pressure on the foot.
At the top of the pressure bar, turn to the left to loosen, to the right to tighten. Turn to the left until you can easily move the fabric back and forth with the foot down.
This is what you need to adjust for different thicknesses of fabric.
If you are sewing on a napped fabric and it shows marks from the foot you need to loosen the pressure to allow for the heavier fabric weight.
I hope this will explain pressure on the foot for those who may not have come across this issue.
The whole point of this was to show you how fmq with the foot on that you already have.
Does this make sense to you all? (or did I just confuse?)