Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jean Quilts >

Jean Quilts

Jean Quilts

Old 07-29-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by BKrenning
Originally Posted by max's grandma
Do any of you make jean quilts, if so how do you make them
I cut up a bunch of old jeans into 6.5" circles, 5 or 6 of hubby's old workshirts into 4.125" squares and some scraps of cotton batting into a smidge less than 4" squares and made a faux cathedral windows throw size quilt for hubby. He wanted something heavy to put over his achy legs at night. Here's where I got the idea: http://www.equilters.com/library/jea...gallbaros.html

There are some more ideas here: http://www.straw.com/quilting/articles/bluejeans.html

They are heavy though so I wouldn't recommend making one larger than sofa size so it can be washed easily. They make good car quilts, stadium blankets, picnic blankets and sleeping pads for toddlers.
I had to do a double take on your quilt. Here's the one, (almost identical) that I made for my baby grandson who is now 6 y/o. See what I mean?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-68823.jpe
Views:	234
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	68828  
Old 07-29-2010, 04:28 PM

[quote=moeind]
Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn
The needle I use are either Jean needles or TopStitch #14 or # 16, which ever I had on hand.

Here are what I have made fro old jeans...... and I still have demin to make another quilt or two.
You should do a tutorial on this jacket. I love it too!
Old 07-31-2010, 10:54 PM

I'm currently making a grandmother's garden jean quilt. I'm using 1/2 in seams. I haven't decide what batting/filler to use yet. But the backing will be jean.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:58 PM

[quote=AnnaK]
Originally Posted by moeind
The needle I use are either Jean needles or TopStitch #14 or # 16, which ever I had on hand.

Here are what I have made fro old jeans...... and I still have demin to make another quilt or two.
You should do a tutorial on this jacket. I love it too!
how many pairs of jeans was used to make your quilt. It's beautiful.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:59 PM

Thanks for the sites... I make raggy shaggys and I love them and I keep one in my car they are great..I fold over binding and clip it to reinforce the ends it is good to do this.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by AnnaK
Originally Posted by BKrenning
I cut up a bunch of old jeans into 6.5" circles, 5 or 6 of hubby's old workshirts into 4.125" squares and some scraps of cotton batting into a smidge less than 4" squares and made a faux cathedral windows throw size quilt for hubby. He wanted something heavy to put over his achy legs at night. Here's where I got the idea: http://www.equilters.com/library/jea...gallbaros.html

There are some more ideas here: http://www.straw.com/quilting/articles/bluejeans.html

They are heavy though so I wouldn't recommend making one larger than sofa size so it can be washed easily. They make good car quilts, stadium blankets, picnic blankets and sleeping pads for toddlers.
I had to do a double take on your quilt. Here's the one, (almost identical) that I made for my baby grandson who is now 6 y/o. See what I mean?
I thought about satin stitching the "flaps" down with red thread but was too lazy and just did a top stitch with white.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:18 PM

I have only made them with unfinished edges due to the heavy weight if the fabric when more than doubled. This can work for a reversible quilt, too, as both sides can end up looking great whether both sides are unfinished edges (by overlapping fabrics rather than making seams), or sewing wrong sides together to get rough edges on the darker side and smooth seams on the reverse. What ever you like works well and then wash and wash, do not fade much and make excellent picnic blanket, coverlette or even a vest or coat. Use your imagination.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Bev

The first quilts I ever made were two jeans quilts for my two oldest grandsons (brothers.) I made every mistake in the book while putting together those darn quilts. The boys are young men now, and they still have those denim quilts made with jeans from every member of their family, including cousins, etc. They love them. The youngest one is using his in his dorm room.
I don't think any other quilts have made such a wonderful impression on the recipients as those two badly made quilts did. 8-)
Old 08-10-2010, 11:53 PM

I just picked up a bunch of jeans at a yard sale. clothes were 3.00 a bag I got 2 bags full , also have been picking up childrens jeans with designs on them for the younger grandchildren I have a pair of coveralls that have a winnie the pooh on the pocket am going to keep the pocket intact and put it in the middle of the quilt for them to put something in the pocket
Old 08-11-2010, 08:38 AM

As I said before, I love this jacket. I made a vest using your idea and it turned out just great. Thanks for posting the photos.