Scorpions!!!

Old 08-15-2010, 12:15 PM

I found a small scorpion under a pile of clothes earlier this summer.. Yeah, I'm finding a proper place for my extra clothes. but we are also building onto our house so I'm battling all the creepy crawlers. My biggest fear are Brown Recluse spiders...quite common here in the country. I spray INSIDE and OUT they have nowhere to go but dead. :?
Old 08-15-2010, 12:40 PM

Have you ever heard of "Rid-X"? You plug it into the wall. Since we did that, we have had two scorpions...both dead!! You can order online. Good luck.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by jackkip
Luckily no one in our house has ever been bitten. I just freak out at the sight of them. We find them all the time in the swimming pool. But when they start coming into the house, I really don't like it. :shock:
I think its been mentioned, but a black light will help you find them in low light or in the dark. :)

The rule for scorpions is, the smaller they are, the more toxic the venom in the tail end is.

I'm in the Midwest, and all we happen to have is black widows, brown recluse, snakes and mice. My gray cat is a good hunter, but she likes to bring live mice to me while I'm sleeping and drop them on my head.

Not a good way to wake up at 4 am, let me tell you. :) Hubby does not like spiders, and he's always getting jumped on and screaming like a little girl. I can't help laughing when that happens, if you saw what a big wookie man he was you would too, trust me. :)

Our neighbors are phobic of snakes, and we get pretty large corn snakes here. I leave them alone because they eat vermin, and that's fewer mice the cat can have. My neighbors have panic attacks, so when they see one in the pool or garage they give me a call. I go over with my grabbit tool and fish them out or remove them. Most of the time they are just babies. I've yet to find one over four feet. (Those in my back yard can get up to six and over.)

The one insect I'm leery of? Wasps and other kinds of bees. I'm very allergic. We try very hard to leave them alone unless they build homes too close to where I work outside.

For the most part, when it comes to creepie crawlies, I'm pretty mellow.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:08 PM

I've been dealing with them for 30 yrs. Have your bug guy dust your attic at least twice a year, put the glue boards against the wall behind furniture (you'll be surprised what all you catch - we even caught an 18 inch snake behind the dryer that way!!) and if your house is brick get metal mesh scrubbies & put pieces in the weep holes. That way the air still gets thru but the critters can't. If you do get stung take a double dose of antihistamine right away.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:17 PM

I have the Bug guy comes every 3 months. Not really sure what all he does upstairs. He does puts out some kind of dust and sprays. Plus I just had the house sprayed 2 weeks ago. I always see dead bugs after the spraying.

We put the scrubbies in the weep holes a few years ago. I need to check to see that they are all still in place. :-)
Old 08-15-2010, 06:03 PM

We lived in high desert and never saw a scorpian thank goodness. Hate creepy crawlies. Anyway one day we had a appraiser come to the house, he must of been in his late 20's, The next thing I see is this guys jumping about 3 feet in the air a taking off. When he stopped he looked like he going to have a heart attack and was white and pale and breathing hard Of course that scared me to death. I had forgotten to mention the rubber snakes we had in the yard to keep the birds away so our cats wouldn't get them. At least thinking about it now we can laugh. He took it pretty well but boy did I feel bad for him.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:20 PM

This topic is one of the reasons I love this board. Some of the stories are just too funny, but the rubber snakes, now that was funny because I was beating a snake in my basement a few years back with a 2 X 4 before I realized it was a rubber snake. All I could do was just laugh at myself.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:25 PM

that would of been a hilaroius video. bet you could of won on americas funniest video for sure, LOL
Old 08-15-2010, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lyn
Originally Posted by kristen0112
yuck! I have never seen one live -probably because I live in Oregon. And I am glad I have never seen one. How big are they? Can you squish them or are they too big? I guess it could be messy huh? When we were in Florida last there was a HUGE water cock roach in our room. It freaked my DD whose 16, it was slow I was fast and it made a big mess. I left it for the hotel staff it was in the entry area which was really big - yuck. I am ok with bugs for the most part they might creep me out but I can usually squish them without problem. BUT snakes I would be screaming and jumping on the closest table or tall object.
You would freak in the south. I know, I grew up in Oregon. Only have Banana slugs and daddy long legs. Scorpions can be the size of your finger tip(a baby) or 1/2 the size of your hand as we saw in El Paso. Tucson has desert cockroaches that are 3-4" long.(I swear they were a foot) One early morning my family was moving across country (military) and my husband and I were driving seperate cars. We stopped to fill up in Tucson. He felt something hit his shoulder. He looked over and all he could see was the antenea coming over his shoulder and he brushed it off. After I finished filling up the car he was laughing and said look up. I looked up, let out a scream and ran to the car and jumped inside. I would not come out. The ceiling at the gas station was crawling with them. Had I been filling up the car and it hit me the gas would have gone all over the station.
That gives me the creeps. One more good reason to live in Oregon no self serve the gas.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:25 AM

Tucson has desert cockroaches that are 3-4" long.(I swear they were a foot) One early morning my family was moving across country (military) and my husband and I were driving seperate cars. We stopped to fill up in Tucson. He felt something hit his shoulder. He looked over and all he could see was the antenea coming over his shoulder and he brushed it off. After I finished filling up the car he was laughing and said look up. I looked up, let out a scream and ran to the car and jumped inside. I would not come out. The ceiling at the gas station was crawling with them. Had I been filling up the car and it hit me the gas would have gone all over the station.[/quote]

OMG!!!! I am a native South Texan and I could not have got in that car fast enough. I grew up with those stupid flying tree roaches or some call them water bugs and I still hate them. Our last two homes have been new, no roaches , just spiders. I don't care for spider either, but at least, they don't fly.
I have seen the scorpions at MILs in Palestine, TX. We always check our shoes and my children were never allowed to sleep on the floor there. The cats and dogs usually kept all the wild things under control.