Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Serger Thread for quilting??? >

Serger Thread for quilting???

Serger Thread for quilting???

Old 08-15-2010, 03:25 PM

i have never used it in my machine but the other day my sister and i were at jo anns , she bought a lot of it and said she uses it all the time , she likes the big cones when it comes to prices and more for your money
Old 08-15-2010, 04:25 PM

I tried using quilting thread on my Mega quilter bu the thread kept on breakng. When I tried my serger thread, I did one full bobbin without any breaks. I plan on using it again on future quilts - it looks great!
Old 08-15-2010, 04:59 PM

Perhaps it is the sewing machines I use, but when I used serger threads I found that I was having to clean my machine Constantly to keep fuzz balls from creating skipped stitches. I had a Baby Lock at the time; now have a Janome Horizon 7700 and Viking Designer SE. I tend to stick to threads with really low lint (Aurafil, Bottom Line, etc). I know they are a bit more costly, however, I don't have to clean my machine after only a few minutes of quilting and I just have to believe that all that lint isn't too good for the machines. IMO.

Josi

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-18-2018 at 11:57 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-15-2010, 05:05 PM

I have several cones of Overlock thread and Surelock thread for my 2 regular sewing machines. All the cones of thread that I have have a sticker on the inside of them saying that they are 100% polyester thread. These cones come with 3000 yards of thread and are much cheaper than a regular spool of thread with much less quantity. I have a Dritz gadget that I can place these cones on my regular sewing machine and they stand up on the spindle just fine. I"ve spun bobbin thread from them and they work just fine, just don't forget the plastic cone thread adapter piece. If you use cotton flannel or cotton fabric for a quilt or anything else large, what is the question about using polyester thread on cotton material? I've never had a problem with either of my 2 vintage Kenmore machines. from, Debbie, Phoenix, AZ
Old 08-15-2010, 05:31 PM

took a class to sew a quilt with a serger so why would they teach a class on it if you couldn't? You just need a heavy duty serger for what we were doing and mine is more for garments. The batting was way to thick for my serger my sewing machine is much better for that. Ravonda
Old 08-15-2010, 05:55 PM

I have a source where I can purchase partial cones, and I have used it for my sewing and quilting with no problems. The clothing companies use cones of thread all the time, and our clothes stay together just fine. LOL
Old 08-15-2010, 06:35 PM

I think serger thread would be fine for FMQ. I use it for most of my sewing, except quilting. I like to piece with the cotton/poly but tried one of the serger-quilting patterns where the piecing is done on the serger. When I pressed the squares, the thread melted and I had to take apart and redo most of them. It hadn't sunk into my pea brain that I can't set the iron on cotton when pressing cotton that was stitched with poly. ALL of my serger thread (3 different brands and yes, one is Maxi-lock) all are 100% poly. I have never seen a cotton serger thread, though it seems like there should be one out there somewhere.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:07 PM

Coats used to make a serger thread that is cotton wrapped polyester. Its name in Cnanda is Brilliant. I use it for piecing and regular sewing. I've never had a problem with it melting. I will continue to use it while I still have so me. It is still available on cones, but is discontinued. Sometimes the lint isn't from the thread, but from the materials used in the quilt.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:18 AM

I use it quite frequently. Seems ok so far!
Old 08-16-2010, 07:15 AM

I use Maxi-Lock that is cotton, no poly, and I use prethreaded bobbins in my Janome and Brother. Janomes are very "bobbin-sensitive", so the prewound ones work great. No problems so far. If your fabric is cotton, why not your thread?