Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for Gollie patterns!!!! >

Looking for Gollie patterns!!!!

Looking for Gollie patterns!!!!

Old 07-29-2008, 08:22 AM

LadiesI do not want anyone offended, I just thought the quilt was cute. I collect ethnic dolls like Lucindsa who is in my sewing room. I just wanted to make a quilt to add to my collection. i AM NOT WANTING TO MAKE FUN OF ANYONE!!!
Old 07-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Banned

Austrailian Patchwork and Quilting lost a great many of their African American subscribers after they ran an article on making golly quilts in 2001. There was quite an uproar among quilters of all races. Use of the term is also what sparked Naomi Campbell's latest tirade at Heathrow I believe.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:35 AM

I don't think Bebe means to upset anyone. Some of these things are just a thing that has happened in the past. Some people are offended by it, some are not. I still have my Little Black Sambo book that I got when I was little. My girls have read it and see nothing wrong with it. It is now on the list of banned books.
I just don't get it sometimes. Maybe I'm naive to some things, I would hope that I'm not.
But, my opinion...if someone wants to make something from an era past and keep it in their own home, then I see nothing wrong with it.
I don't mean to start a debate with my statement either.
Everyone has their own opinions and we agree to disagree on lots of subjects. I don't think anyone should be chastized, even a little bit for wanting to make something they are interested in.
Ok, off my soapbox and done with this thread.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:48 AM

I also collect antique dolls and there are several members of my doll clubs who "love" golliwog dolls. One of our members even attended a convention back East of others who shared the same interest. Among doll collectors I know, the term golliwog is merely descriptive of a very appealing character doll that is frankly quite sought after. (Norah Wellings dolls made some wonderful ones---company is from the UK and also made sailor dolls that were souvenir dolls on cruise ships---usually fabric)
Old 07-29-2008, 09:10 AM

All I can say is the quilts a adorable. The one place Terri posted had some really neat quilts and dolls. The thing is people forget, but when I was little there weren't little black girl dolls for black girls one white dolls, just everything was white, so they came up with there own style of stuff and really if you think about it people are embrassing there culture now, not making fun of it, but i guess with embrassing others think people are making fun. I don't know it was just a thought. :roll:
Old 07-29-2008, 08:42 PM
bj

Okay, I've apologized to bebe for "attacking" her, which was totally not my intent. But now I feel like I also owe her a public apology. I should have directed my concern to her privately in a pm rather than in her post. So, bebe, here's my apology. I did not mean to attack your liking for the dolls, just didn't know if you knew, that at least in some circles, they had a negative connotation. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings or get anything negative started. This is not the place for that. I feel like we are all friends here and I hope to remain your friend on the board.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:18 PM

I think we all need to chill.....I didn't think anyone was attacking anyone just giving us the information about the dolls....It's too bad people are so sensitive anymore....I thought the quilt and dolls was cute...and that was it..nothing more and nothing less...just as cute as some of the other dolls that no one gets rallied up over.... Gee ladies....... we all mean well I think... :(
Old 07-30-2008, 05:08 AM

Apology accepted!!!!! Like we say on the board we learn something everyday and several of us learned today. I still like the Gollies and plan to eventually venture out to make my quilt.
Everyone Have a Good Day!!!!!
Old 07-30-2008, 12:07 PM

Well we all do learn something new every day. I had never heard of them, but when i looked at the quilt in the link, it was absolutely gorgeous and stunning, and had no idea why anyone was against it, until i read that there is a bad history with them. Perhaps it's just the name golly, but i absolutely love ethnic quilts, and this one is very beautiful, with no bad connatations in the characters themselves, i thought they were all very beautiful. So i guess i can see for those of us that didnt know, i learneed something today too. I think it would be ok to make a quilt with dif ethnics in it though, as a beautiful thing...but now im glad i learned something too.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:18 PM

Sorry I haven't caught up with this till now, we've been without power here for 18 hrs due to the storms. I apologise if the pic of this quilt that I posted caused any offence to anyone, that was never my intention, I just thought they were cute dolls on a fun quilt. So I am sorry if anybodies feelings were hurt or that any trouble may have been caused in our friendly quilting comunity.